Trace an image an bring it up to scale

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
rwebcon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Elite 4 X 4

Trace an image an bring it up to scale

Post by rwebcon »

I think I have seen this done in aspire some time ago but cannot find any examples/video.
I want to bring in let’s say a JPG file and trace it with maybe the polyline tool. Then some how scale it up to a specified size by entering a known value for let’s say a vector line in the sketch. So, let’s say the image comes in 4 inches long but need to be proportionally size up to 7 inches. If I remember it was a wrench used as an example.

jfederer
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Re: Trace an image an bring it up to scale

Post by jfederer »

Use the resize tool and enter your exact measurement.
resize.jpg
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

rwebcon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rwebcon »

I used other software to bring image in an scaled it perfectly. Export as DXF.....

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48,Denford Triac Modified

Post by martin54 »

The wrench tool you mentioned is a 3D modeling tool & not the right way to scale vectors, the resize tool that has been mentioned would have resized your vectors :lol: :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Actually I do what you are doing a LOT of times.

The second poster here has pointed to the correct tool to do exactly what you want.

There is a lock in the dialog box that allows you to scale both axes in relation to each other OR you can unlock and change each axis independent of each other. Comes in really handy sometimes.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind

www.leosworkshop.com

rwebcon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rwebcon »

Fusion

adze_cnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Gesundheit...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Guess I'm missing why different software needs to be used to scale a vector. The Vectric software does it perfectly, absolutely no need to use an external program.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Adrian wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:53 am
Guess I'm missing why different software needs to be used to scale a vector. The Vectric software does it perfectly, absolutely no need to use an external program.
PLUS ONE
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind

www.leosworkshop.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Adrian wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:53 am
My guess would be it was because the OP didn't know how to do it within the Vectric software but did know how to do it in some other software, simple solution to that is either continue to use other software or learn how to use the Vectric software to its full extent :lol: :lol:

rwebcon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rwebcon »

Well excuse me.... there are other ways which maybe better you know, I use several application in combination to get things done.
Some work better then others and importing into Aspire to make the cuts works for me.

adze_cnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

rwebcon wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:11 am
I used other software to bring image in an scaled it perfectly. Export as DXF.....
Here's the ambiguity. Does image imply the JPEG file or traced vectors from Aspire? To me image is a JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PSD file—that is a raster image.

But as that "image" was scaled and exported as DXF from 'Foosion' others might have thought that it was the traced curves from Aspire that were imported, scaled, then exported. They then pointed out that that is unnecessary as Aspire can scaled just as well.

I wouldn't scale a JPG (or any other image) before converting it to curves. Curves scale "perfectly" images just get pixelated.

I'm all for using other software packages when the tools available are easier or more powerful to use. Just recently I need to trim many vectors and used Rhinoceros 3D as it provided far more flexibility.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

rwebcon wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:53 pm
Well excuse me.... there are other ways which maybe better you know, I use several application in combination to get things done.
Some work better then others and importing into Aspire to make the cuts works for me.
The reason for the confusion (at least on my part) is that thread starts with you asking for help, you're then given that help and reply that you've done it in another program in such a way that implies you couldn't do it in Aspire.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

rwebcon wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:53 pm
Sorry if it sounded like we were questioning your methods, not the intention but as Adrian has said it looked like you were asking for help & the resize tool in the Vectric software works as well as any other resize tool I have used so maybe a different way but probably not a better way.
As for other ways which may be better then yes I agree 100% with you, I use a range of different software & each have their strong points & weaknesses I have yet to find a one size fits all software that does everything better than any other software :lol: :lol: :lol:
I switch between software to try & make things as easy for myself as possible, I wouldn't say any of them were better overall, just different & I use the bits that work best for me.