Can you control the toolpath route?

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
sonorousguitars
Model of CNC Machine: AR8 PRO V5

Can you control the toolpath route?

Post by sonorousguitars »

I have Aspire version 10.505 and the Axiom AR8 pro v5. Every time a file is run the router moves down the z axis first, a predetermined amount based off the z origin, before continuing along the path. Can I change this starting path in Aspire? I would like to manually choose what direction the router takes before starting the toolpath cut. Is that possible?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Can you control the toolpath route?

Post by Adrian »

It depends on how the post processor is written but in general the job will start with the machine moving to the Home XY position as defined in Material Setup on the toolpath tab. It will move to the Z position dictated to by the Z Gap above Material setting at the same time.

From there it will move to the XY position of the start of the cutting either moving down to Clearance (Z1) position as it does so or by doing the XY and Z moves as two separate moves. It then moves to the Plunge (Z2) before moving down to the cut.

You can modify the Home XY and the Z Gap, Z1 and Z2 on the Material Setup form as stated. For any other change in behaviour you would need to modify the post processor you're using.

As an example on my post processor I removed all references to XYZ home so the machine will move from wherever it is when I load a job to the start of the cut and when it finishes it retracts at that point and stops.