Shapeoko BitSetter

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
snapajap
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3

Shapeoko BitSetter

Post by snapajap »

I have been using VcarvePro for a couple or so years and love it. My machine is a Shapeoko 3. I just ordered the bit setter and wondered how can I utilize it properly. I haven't put much time into it yet and hopefully won't have to :)
So when I go to save my tool paths with different end mill sizes it'll let me know the the post processor won't allow this function.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Build 48X36X10 RP 2010 Screenset

Re: Shapeoko BitSetter

Post by TReischl »

I think what you are asking is if the post can handle different tool types and put then all in one file?

If so, you need to find a post with ATC in the name. Even though you do not have an automatic tool changer, the code generated should pause the machine and allow you to change tools, then the machine should go to the touch off point and set the tool offset for you.

Another variant is that it will allow you to change the tool, then you put the touch off plate underneath, do the tool touch off and continue.

You probably should jump on the shapeoko forum to get the best advice, there are a lot more people on that forum who can help you.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Jones

wb9tpg
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

Over on the Carbide3D community site there is a lot of discussion of the Bitsetter. Neil Ferreri posted a set of post processors to use with the bit setter on Github (link below). You can find discussion of the workflow around using bit setter at the C3D site. Enjoy the new tool

https://github.com/neilferreri/V-Carve-PPs
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

snapajap
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3

Post by snapajap »

Thank you very much!

Stay healthy!