Web site - marketing

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
atripp
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Exxact, Anderson Exxact Duo TC2

Web site - marketing

Post by atripp »

I apologize if this isn't the place for this question, but I have noticed several of you with websites. I will also make the same post on the Sawmill Creek forum. My business is making CNC component parts - any material, any part (3 axis limitation). Just recently (3 months ago) - added ASPIRE to my arsenal. To this point, I have obtained business either from friends or contacts in the industry and following up on leads that current customers may have given to me. Last year, I did a post card mailout of about 100 cards to business' in the area and did not get 1 call from that effort. My question to the forum is, those of you that have websites, do you find that they generate business and if so, how do you get people to know about your site other than the obvious - adding the address to your business card. Does it give any legitimacy to your business?

Of course I welcome anyone's respone as I am pondering if I need to go in this direction. The cost doesn't seem to be that great but in this economy, I have to look at the return on investment. One of my machinery vendors always challenges me with this quote - "It's not how much it cost but rather how much it cost to do nothing"

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Andy
Andy Tripp
http://www.componentsbydesign.com

wcarrothers
Vectric Wizard

Re: Web site - marketing

Post by wcarrothers »

I'd say that not having a web site these days is a bad idea over all. People get your card and google your company name. If nothing comes up. Well you can figure what happens next. Or they loose your card, remember the name, google and get nothing. Again same result.

Then the things that are involved with getting you higher on the returns when some one does search..

If nothing else an easy way to enable people to see examples of your work (or point them to where they can see...

Anywho..

b.

www.sintrasigns.com

ManitobaKeith
Vectric Wizard

Post by ManitobaKeith »

Hey Andy,
I would have to say it pays for itself and more. As mentioned above, it give a place to display your wares for very little cost. And, yes - put it on your business cards as it will gather more exposure. Mine has more than paid for the cost in a very short period of time. There was a discussion of websites a few months ago in the forum, so try a search.
My website is here
Keith
It is not only what we do,but also what we do not do,for which we are accountable-Jean Moliere

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

I would say yes, have a website for nothing else than for your customers to see what you have to offer. Post card mailing are good for only a 0.5% return according to the marketing experts. Phone book and other listing also add. There is a resource call "The Blue Book". It offers information to other business's who are looking for products.
Getting a high listing on Google take time and a constant effort. I have spent several years at the website rankings and finally we are #1 ( Google; stained glass restoration)
There is no one quick fix for getting customers. Plan for the long term.
Consider the farmers and do as they do. Prepare the soil, plant the seed, tend to the seed as it grows and before you know it, you will be up to your shoulders in work. Just make sure you start off with a good product.
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

Gc3

Post by Gc3 »

Here is a very easy web site builder...you can do one for free or upgrade to a "pro" account for little $

www.weebly.com

Gene Crain
www.plantasymaderas.com

atripp
Vectric Craftsman

Post by atripp »

Thank you for all your responses. I also found the previous discussion on Web sites (that Manitoba Keith mentioned) that was a helpful read in the Vcarve forum. Looks like I will be making a web site soon.

Some research done in the last couple of days suggested registering your domain with a different company than the company that actually does the web site hosting. Is this really a concern? Seems to me it would be easier to have it all in one place. Looks like justhost.com keeps coming up as a top hosting site that looks real reasonable.

Andy
Andy Tripp

Butch
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by Butch »

Just a suggestion.
Web sites are great. It is like a large portfolio or brochure. People can go look and see what you have done as well as get ideas. I haven't found they sell as well as person to person, but I have had good luck with people looking.

When you send out mailings, that is only the first step. I use to figure that for every mailing I sent out, my salesmen should get 10-15% return, on established customers and 1-5% on new potentials.
For new potential customers.
I would put together a list of business's that could use my products. A kind of pre-verification process. I made sure the criteria points I was looking at were pretty broad, so I wouldn't eliminate possible customers.
First I would send out an introduction flyer. Here I would introduce a product line or just introduce my company.
Then the salesman would make a phone call to each of the address's. During the phone call, they would introduce themselves and ask if they could stop and visit with them.
Then they would go visit those that would allow a meeting.
The rest would be called back after 2-4weeks to see if they could visit with them.
Usually if it was new customers and/or new product line, I would plan on another flyer with some type of promotional information. Again I would introduce the company on about 40-50% of the paper, and then do a promotional ad on the rest. Again, the salesmen would call, and try to set up appointments, and even make a few sales.
But until a potential customer said to leave them alone, we would send them flyers.

I found it usually took three contacts before they made any sales. And many of the best customers took several years. The best customers are usually very loyal, and don't like change. But we kept our name in front of them, until such time they want to change.

Just sending a flyer out, will usually have a very small response. But a flyer with a phone call, greatly increases the return. A flyer, phone call and visit usually had at least a 10-20% return, for at least one sale.

Don't know if that helps, but there is my experience.
Butch
WildWood Manufacturing

John Murphy
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 5010

Post by John Murphy »

Hi Andy.

At this time, I believe at least a basic website is a must. How far you go with it should be determined with some market research. I found using surveys and published data, that over 75% of my target client base use the Internet as a first look for information and locations.

I have a pretty basic website that I have done myself. It has generated work, but msot importantly it gives you and your company some legitimacy. It is coming to a point that I no longer have the time to maintain a good site. (Keep your information up to date).

I do not rely solely on the website for sales. It is one of many marketing tools you should be using.

Check to see if their is a small business centre in your area. Most offer seminars to assist small businesses with these challenges.

Good Luck
John

Gippetto
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Infotec

Post by Gippetto »

Andy,

A website is the first impression for many people when they are google, in my case quit often they fill
in the request form for additionial information, pictures visualizes what you are doing say more
then thousand words.
In my experience a good website is a good start and investment.
Next to that ofcourse, visit and show your customers examples, let them feel what it is and be unique, there
we have aspire ofcourse :lol: .

Regards
Ruud
http://www.gippetto.eu

atripp
Vectric Craftsman

Post by atripp »

Thanks again for all the replies - for those of you interested in this topic and are followers of the Sawmill Creek forum, there is an active thread there as well. I started one under the CNC machines category but the most active one is under the Engraver's forum. You guys are the best. Keep it coming! :D

Andy
Andy Tripp

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Post by GripUs »

My business is primarily an internet business, hence the name "GripUs Dot Com." I have had a website up for almost six years and finally get a decent amount of hits (100+ unique visitors a day). That may not be a lot to some of ya'll, but mine is a niche market. I believe having a website adds credibility to your business and can even make a small buisiness look like a business large enough to handle the kind of jobs you would like to have. Another positive side of websites is they allow other businesses to find your product. That is how we developed some of our retail customers to whom we sale wholesale.

Joe
Ham and eggs - Inconvenient for the chicken. A total commitment for the pig.
http://www.gripus.com/

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

I'm enjoying reading this thread, and don't mean to Hi-Jack it.
But I'm looking from someone that can create a web graphic, possible 2 - 3.
If anyone is has the time and skills, feel free to send me a private message......

.... now back to the original thread...
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

G.Werner

Post by G.Werner »

See our website, http://www.intelliviewuas.com if anyone needs help building. I can give you some pointers.

I need help learning rotary axis machining on my bot, so if you know anyone with experience, please advise.

If you get together digital pictures of what you are selling and/or pictures of your offerings and said services first that will reduce your expenses.

Decide a basic outline for the pages, and what you want them to accomplish.

Most have a index or lead in page that you go to initially. Then each subsequent one is reached by a title header that has the page names.

If you do the leg work now, you can avoid paying the designer to change the site until you get it the way you want it.

Start basic and build it up as you learn what to add, you can always change the pictures, and hide them somewhere else on the website.

Generally you want to give them some information about yourself. That probably takes the longest time, usually called "About Us" or something.

Next you have to register a domain name for your site, and decide how long you want it posted on the web. Let the designer do it, or learn before posting, the host companies usually package the registration service with the server space, for a combined price.

There are a number of good companies. I can make recommendations for a simple website hosting company, and they offer free step by step online software for building the site that includes templates. Pretty straight forward.

You basically pay them for managing the server space.

Happy to help guys, if you need the work done and don't want to do yourself, I may have some work references for you, just email me at the following.

gwerner@intelliviewuas.com

Greg