Trouble opening dwg file

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
RickCNC
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's 4X4

Trouble opening dwg file

Post by RickCNC »

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I'm having trouble opening a "3D" Autocad (2007)drawing with Aspire Trial Version.. also tried the DXF of the same file. I get an error "Cannot set CMLEADERSTYLE to that value"... Do you want to proceed <<<Yes>>>> or <<<No>>> when you click on Yes, the screen flickers but the drawing never loads.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Trouble opening dwg file

Post by tmerrill »

Any chance you can post the file?

Tim

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi Rick,

You can't import a 3D file into Aspire using DWG. DWG is only supported for 2D data transfer. To import a 3D model you need to use a format such as STL.

Brian

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hello

very possible you set something in the dimensioning variables... and this variable has ben changed... (the message shows you, the default is standard) the dimensioning lines,arrows are special blocks in autocad...

try first what brian suggested, to convert your your model to stl... sure all three value in the wcs positiv (x,y,z) otherwise autocad can't convert...

if it would be "only" 3d lines, like 3dpoly then select all object-entities and copy to clipboard, insert with original insertionpoint in a new drawing... and from there you might able to import... if, it is contain only lines.. only on one layer... no "dimensions"
ie if inserts without dimensioning objects, the variables wont changing

also the dxf better for import...

the classic way made models can't be imported in aspire..

thanks
viktor

RickCNC
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's 4X4

Post by RickCNC »

Importing the STL file allowed me to import the file.

OK!! So looking at the attached 3D autocad drawing what is the most efficient way to drill out all the holes and mill out (pocket) one edge. Panel is pre cut and held to the table with a vacuum.

If possible I would like to avoid having to redraw in 2d or deal with the depth of the holes , (let the software figure it out) eliminating the possiblity of operator error.
Attachments
lh-gable-base-holes-in.zip
(56.2 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

That type of work really should be done with a 2D drawing to start with. It looks like a cabinet side? I work in a cabinet shop, programming and running CNC machines for the last 10 years, and everything we do is done with 2D .dxf files.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I agree with Gerry, that looks like a pretty standard cabinet side to me and it should really be done as 2D. The holes are easily dealt with drill toolpaths.

joecnc2006
Vectric Wizard

Post by joecnc2006 »

I just got the same error "can not set CMLeaderStyle to that value"
Capture.JPG
CMLEADERSTYLE
Determines the current multileader style

I have the default in acad set to standard. anyone know how to correct this error.

wesbaker
Model of CNC Machine: Fanuc VMC; LinuxCNC Router

Post by wesbaker »

Same issue. We only do 2D work. Every dxf we import from AutoCADLT 2010 produces three nuisance erroers.
Cannot set CMLEADERSTYLE to that value
Cannot set CVIEWSECTIONSTYLE to that value
Cannot set CVIEWDETAILSTYLE to that value

The files import when you click "yes I want to load it anyway". I've used the vCarve Pro product now for a year or two. Dealt with the nuisance for that long. Looks like others have too. But searching the forums ... I do not see a solution.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Do you have to use DXF? EPS is a much better format as it supports beziers etc.

DXF has all sorts of version issues. As far as I'm aware those sections are all to do with text annotations which you wouldn't be cutting so they can be ignored.

I don't know if it's still true but the best versions of DXF to use with Vectric software was always said to be R12/R14.

wesbaker
Model of CNC Machine: Fanuc VMC; LinuxCNC Router

Post by wesbaker »

OMG! I thought I had tried multiple versions. Setting default to V12 dxf does in fact create a dxf without the reference to the variables that vCarve does not like ... so bingo ... no nuisance error messages.

Incidentally I went with the "old format" theme and tried V14 DWG ... that works too.

So I've got my work around! Thanks for the response.

Wes