pocketing question

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
lockeyone
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: other software 50-50 router, Mach3, Epilog 60W

pocketing question

Post by lockeyone »

I must not be seeing something but how do I create a pocket tool path so as the tool does not retract and go to safe Z after each pass. I was cutting a pocket yesterday that added too much time in the raising and lowering unnecessarily. This particular pocket the tool could have stayed down for the whole pocket.
If you want to kill time, why not work it to death!

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: pocketing question

Post by metalworkz »

Was it a 2D or 3D toolpath? For 3D toolpaths roughing passes I think the Z level option will have less Z axis retractions as you can use the profile pass first or last. It looks like the 3D Raster option retracts and moves to the same start point on each pass. I did not see any retractions on the 2D Pocketing previews but maybe the preview is not including safe Z movements? Maybe just a little more information or having the file to look at would help someone on the forum find a good explanation. Optimization of time is a very important aspect of the process.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

lockeyone
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lockeyone »

I ran a test pocket with both my VCarve v3 and Aspire v2 and they both did the same thing. It is a 2D pocket.

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

show us a file

jim
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hi

all camprogram do it... because, the startpoint can be different position like the endpoint during a filling procedure...

you can edit by hand your toolpath, with a g01 movement move the tool to the startpoint, in the fillpattern, and void the z retract...
also a solution, in the tolpathcreation you have two settings, the home Z and the rapidplane, set rapid plane as close as you can... like 0.01 inch... but in this case can happen, on other point on the movement your tool hit something on it's way, like a clamp, or other fixture..

there's no way to change this method...

lockeyone
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lockeyone »

I understand I can edit a file, I was just wondering if I was missing something in Aspire that may control that. I notice profiling doesn't do that. I wonder if the post processor could be adjusted for that? I use Mach3.
Thanks for the responses.

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

What pocketing option are you using, Offset or Raster? The Offset option looks like it will have less tendency to implement safe Z movements as it follows the shape of the pocket as it works from the center outwards with less movement from the end point to the start point.
The Raster option starts at one side of the pocket and works its way across to the other side and appears to need a safe Z movement to return to the start point for the next pass. That is the best I can see from the previews but one may need to run an actual test with the machine to see it correctly. It may be worth trying the Offset option if you have been using Raster? I usually use the Offset option but I do a lot of machining of aluminum and the Raster option may be preferred for working with wood?
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hi

in my post , the handediting just a posibilites...
in my post, in the first line i explained why the pocketing will start over, as you posted raise the z...
it can not be on way as it goes back to the start point... the program has a way, a math form...
just figure out a pocket like the five great lake... in that case very little, might be zero the chance for a path, which one ending same point as it started..

the profiling is different... a contour, a closed contour of course starting and ending on same point, same spot....

only way to make pocketing without raise the z... that the tollpath on each end reversing.... but i did not hear about it would be a plan....
ie in case a circle pocket starting outside, and when it reach the center, then it reversing and start the next pass backward from the center...

my opinion is, these program already way better like the competitors.... so even there's something what's not so comfortible... still worth to use these programs...

lockeyone
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lockeyone »

The pocketing issue for me only became really apparent when cutting this aluminum box since my steps were so small. When I do my wood projects it isn't much of an issue. I will experiment with more settings to see if I can tweak it without having to edit the code. I often start machining something and can see in the first pass a change or two I want to make in how it is going to run and stop the project, edit the code, and start again.
Thanks for all your replies.

This is on my electric hoist in my garage. I long since broke the plastic electrical box by pulling on the cords instead of the hook/cable. Now is is built like a brick s_it house. I also added a cable to the cords so if I or one of my buddies pulls the cords to move the hoist the cable will take the load.
Attachments
hoist-b.jpg
hoist-f.jpg

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

it's a nice piece..
on a router it's really timeconsuming... now i understand your point about the job keep long....next time the simplest, make offsets of the contour and create inside conturing toolpath... with the program you can save in one file, and you get only one file and just a few couple of z movement,,,,
also just a little trick, if you choose the ramping over threetimes like the tool dia, then you can give for the plunge rate same like to the feedrate... ... i mean the real condition is the ramp degree can't exceed 5-8 degre in z projection...
it also speed up the machining...
for aluminum, and holes i use helical movement... on arc movement a constant z feed...
and on this way i create a hole so quick just like with drillbit....

right now i just struggling with a plate... i don't have yet vcarve and the workaround is a lot on tapered letters...

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Hello,
Wow, that is a very substantial box and it looks like it won't be coming apart like the plastic one. With that deep of a pocket I can see how un-needed Z movements would become very obvious and time consuming.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines: