Importing 3D files to ASPIRE

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Importing 3D files to ASPIRE

Post by Fleming »

First: Thanks to all those who post on this site - I have learned a lot from your expertise.

The problem: I can import a 3D file (shape of a house from SketchUp), scale it, roughly position it, and adjust the zero plane but run into 2 problems.

The first problem is manipulating the 3D object. It seems to want to pivot off of one corner which makes alignment difficult. I am trying to get a clean diagonal slice so I can see the front and one side looking at one corner. What are the "tricks" to controlling the roll of a 3D object?

Second, sometimes when I click OK I get the right shape into the 3D view. Other times I get what can best be described as a long stick shape which bears no relation to any part of the 3D object.

Many Thanks to any advice!
Cobblewood Carver

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Importing 3D files to ASPIRE

Post by Adrian »

What I do is use the Top Surface selections to get the correct face aligned with the plane. Then I adjust the model size to whatever I want it to be.

Then I use the Zero Plane Position slider to get that face roughly aligned with the plane.

Finally I use the shift-Left mouse drag combination to position the model with the correct tilt.

I find the last stage really difficult and it usually takes several attempts. I think it's just one of those things that takes practise, I'm not sure I'll ever get the hang as I do 80% of my work in Sketchup and I'm too used to using my left hand on a 3D mouse.

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

A common mistake is to forget to press the apply button after changing the size of the model.

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Thanks for the tips. Resizing is not a problem. Controlling the tilting of the object is like herding cats! Can anyone tell me why I get the "long stick" figure when I finally select OK sometimes instead of the part of the model above the zero plane? Is it because Aspire cannot handle a negative or hidden space?
Cobblewood Carver