Modeling Resolution

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Modeling Resolution

Post by ohiolyons »

A long time ago (on a planet far far away) I was told once you set the modeling resolution and add components, those components are set at that resolution.

I was watching a youtube video and the presenter change the modeling resolution after a 3d component was added and he implied that previously added components modeling resolution would change.

That is contrary to what I thought I knew to be the case.
Looked in User' Guide and Help contents and did not see this addressed either way.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Modeling Resolution

Post by martin54 »

That has always been my understanding as well, same as when you create a model you can't increase the resolution of that model :lol: :lol:

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

How do you know what the "modeling resolution" is for a component? I know you can see it in the Job Setup, but I've only been able to assume how the actual component is built.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

John,

AFAIK, you're right.

See this post and download the doc:
viewtopic.php?p=302243#p302243

As Tex-Lawrence, I don't know how to find the modeling resolution of a component in Vectric software. Maybe in Meshlab for stl, but I never gave it a try.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Vectric it would be nice if you confirmed or denied this one.

A very popular Youtuber who has spoke at your User's group meetings is spreading inaccuracies about your software.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

... However if you edit a component (perhaps to do some sculpting) the data will be worked on at the resolution of the
Composite Model not the original component. ... from pdf file Vectric Aspire Model Structure; Brian Moran 6th October 2011
So, from what I'm understanding is that the modeling resolution of the imported component is not particularly as relevant as the resolution of the Composite Model that the component is being imported into? This Composite Model (in the current file) is where control of resolution (and therefore visibility of resolution) is being provided.

Perhaps this is a lot of todo about nothing more than how I can understand the process.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

I would say no. A low res model will still look like a piece of crap even at 50x.

High res models at a project’s low modeling resolution will loose detail. Example: one of D&M eagles with spread wings. The detail of feathers will disappear.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

I can't test as I don't own Aspire anymore (I now own Vcarve), but I'd bet that if you import a low resolution stl in a high resolution project and begin sculpting it, your modifications will occur at high resolution. Easy to test.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

ohiolyons wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:47 am
I would say no. A low res model will still look like a piece of crap even at 50x.

High res models at a project’s low modeling resolution will loose detail. Example: one of D&M eagles with spread wings. The detail of feathers will disappear.
So have you tried changing the modelling resolution & seeing if the detail of the feathers increases? I always set up the resolution I want at the start, I have never tried changing it once the project has started because I believed you couldn't do that :lol: :lol:
I have just tried with a couple of models & there does seem to be a change in how the model looks on screen if I change the resolution after the job is set up which would seem to show they are correct in what they say :lol: :lol:
As I said in my first post & from watching Michael's tutorial again it seems to be more about how the initial model was made rather than how that model is used later, if the initial model is created at a high resolution then the data is there to show it at a high resolution, I have no idea if that data can be accessed once a job has been started as I know little about how software programs are written :lol: :lol:

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

There are bought models ie D&M, and components. I’m particularly talking about components created in Aspire, 2 rail sweep etc.

I always set my modeling resolution at the start because of my understanding that you can’t upscale existing components.

The point of the original post is to get clarification on whether Vectric's software upscales modeling resolution on created components in an existing project after you started if you increase the modeling resolution. I NEVER DO THIS.

A well followed YouTube and Vectric User Group Meeting presenter is miss informing his followers, depending on the answer to this question.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

ohiolyons wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:51 pm
A well followed YouTube and Vectric User Group Meeting presenter is miss informing his followers, depending on the answer to this question.
Could you post the link to this video please?

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

I would like to know I’m right before naming the person.

If I’m right I will forward a link to him so he can correct it to his viewers and not call him out in this forum.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

ohiolyons wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:51 pm
There are bought models ie D&M, and components. I’m particularly talking about components created in Aspire, 2 rail sweep etc.

I always set my modeling resolution at the start because of my understanding that you can’t upscale existing components.

The point of the original post is to get clarification on whether Vectric's software upscales modeling resolution on created components in an existing project after you started if you increase the modeling resolution. I NEVER DO THIS.

That's my point, when I create models I set the modelling resolution as high as I think it needs to be & my material size at a small size. I then create the component & save it as a 3Dclip file so I can use it in other projects. I thought you were talking about an existing model as you mentioned a model from D&M. From Michael's tutorial you should always create models at a high resolution as they can't be altered once created, well that's my understanding anyway although I could be wrong, I don;t do a lot of modelling :lol: :lol:

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

The point of the post is there is a well respected Vectric YouTube person out there and he implied you can change the resolution after components have been created and they will be upscaled.

I was taught you way you do it, proper modeling resolution from the beginning.

When I pointed this out to him during the live broadcast I was told I don’t think so.

I have forwarded this post to vectric support and will let everyone know their response.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Vectric's response.

Charlie Pullen (Vectric Ltd.)

Apr 17, 2023, 16:12 GMT

Hi John.

So the 3D models retain the resolution they were created at, and then scale down to the current modelling resolution of the project.

So for example If I am on standard resolution, create a new 3D model, and then go back and change the Project modelling resolution to a higher setting, the model I made before will not directly improve its own resolution.

If I then keep that and use sculpting to alter it, higher resolution details can be added onto it but the underlying original model is still the lower resolution.
This is why it is best to start as high as possible and then reduce the modelling resolution when needed usually.

Likewise if you import in a .V3M file which is made at High resolution it will retain that resolution.

When you reduce the modelling resolution in a project with existing models, those models are still stored in the higher Resolution in the file but are presented at a scaled down lower resolution in the 3D view.

Keep in mind though, if you then do something like baking, the resulting model will be a "New" model and will have the resolution of the Project at its current modelling resolution (As mentioned in the Quote from Brian which Tex Provided in the Forum thread.)

In short, Importing models keep the resolution they were created at.
Creating models retain the resolution of the project at the time of creation.

I hope this helps explain this for you.
Best Regards
Charlotte

Vectric Partner Support Leader

Vectric Ltd | Precision House| 2 Arden Road
Alcester | Warwickshire | B49 6HN | United Kingdom
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio