This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Re: Vectric support reply on 3D & pixels

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Mr. Phillips replied quickly with some comments on the discussed problem:
Thank you for contacting us,

This is in part due to the way 3D data is handled in our software which is in effect a 2D Bitmap Pixel image, projected up to give a 3D Visual Effect using a fixed grid of point heights to create a height map. Since Pixels are always square, this does mean that steep sided angled parts can have a pixelated effect along their lengths.

I can see that you have already tried the helpful suggestions from other forum members of applying a zero plane and selecting the highest available modelling solution. The higher the Modelling resolution the smaller the Pixels in the project, so consider the material size and keep this as small as possible if possible for your project. Pixel numbers are consistent regardless of the material size, so if you create a 8'4' material size and then put in a 12" model into that project it will look worse than adding that same 12" 3D model into a project with a 13"x13" job size for instance.

Another way to mitigate this is to ensure that you do not have a 90 degree vertical edge, and max out at about 85 degree if possible.
If a vertical edge is required, usually the best result you can get is to have the finish toolpath end right at the start of the edge and then use a profile toolpath to cut the actual vertical side for you. There's a really useful in depth explanation of the modelling structure used in our software in the attached pdf.

I'm not sure whether you have seen this already but the topic of using a zero plane to reference the material surface and effectively 'fill in' the transition between this and those vertical edges is covered in detail in the following recessed dish tutorial, which you may find helpful:

https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... hed-recess

As you know, there are situations like this where the 2.5D moulding toolpath can yield more consistent results than the 3D strategies and wondered whether you have been able to try this alternative approach with your own projects? If you would like us to take a look at this then please do send over an example .CRV file and we can look to offer further steps to achieve a better result around these vertical edges.

I have passed along your suggestion over to our development team to be considered for future versions of the software though I could not say at the moment if or when this would be possible to implement I'm afraid.
Unfortunately the file called "Vectric 3D model structure.pdf" he provided is too large to upload to this forum.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Finishing toolpath offset strategy

Post by adze_cnc »

Copy the following link and paste into the address bar of your browser and you'll get that PDF file: http://forum.vectric.com/download/file.php?id=38488

Michael Mezalick also has a good vid specifically dealing with resolution: here

Ranger1118
Model of CNC Machine: SnapMaker A350

Re: Finishing toolpath offset strategy

Post by Ranger1118 »

Hi,
I'm just retired and I'm pursuing old hobbies. I'm having a lot of fun some far, but I have a real noob question. I'm using VCarve Pro and prepared the gcodes for the Genmitsu. My question: Is the Z origin the same value for both the ROUGHING and FINISHING passes? I set them the same and the roughing past went great (way too long, but I'm tweaking the settings) but when the finish pass started , it just "floated" above the already removed stock just carving air. Shouldn't it Z down to the top of the uncut stock?

Would really appreciate any guidance!
~Rob