Secret Project

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Secret Project

Post by jfederer »

It's been a while since I've posted anything. There have been so many amazing projects come through recently (like Marleyturned's "Gravity Well #9" and Tailmaker's "Just some old floor boards"). Here's a hint of what's been keeping me busy for the past several weeks. This is pretty much the smallest part of the project apart from the electronics (which are driving me nuts!). A hint: this piece is a solution to an "Oh crap" situation.

I should have more to show within a week or two.
SSP11.jpg
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

Charlie_l
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II

Re: Secret Project

Post by Charlie_l »

Pull cord handle for a small engine?
Charlie
Aspire, CAMaster Stinger II

jfederer
Vectric Wizard

Post by jfederer »

Charlie_l wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:10 am
Pull cord handle for a small engine?
No, although I admit it looks like half of one.

I had a breakthrough with the electronics this afternoon. I'm using an SV17F MP3 player module to provide a sound track to the item I'm working on. For hours, I couldn't get it to produce any sound. As a last resort I plugged it back into my computer to confirm I had the file loaded. Lo and behold, I had mis-named the file. It must be in the format of 0000x.mp3, and i had left out a zero. Now with it named properly as 00001.mp3 it works perfectly.
Joe Federer

www.federer.ca

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Joe, the MP3 players that I have used in my past seem to be like the one that you provided the link to.

When you had your "breakthrough" and found the file name that works, I'm wondering if you haven't simplified the description of the solution.

In reading the description of your MP3 player, it seems that it requires a file name that is numerical and is padded with zeros to fill out 5 digits that start with 1 and go to 255. (00001.mp3 to 00255.mp3)

My apologies if I just restated what you said, but it makes it clear if one was building a routine to rename available files to the correct format for that player.

I'm waiting for your revealing of the Secret Project, because I've been toying with a digital photo frame myself. :)

LINKS:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2342 (can use 8 simple switches to trigger a song)
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2341 (can use 8 simple switches to trigger a song)
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3968 (nice speaker with good magnet)
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard

Post by jfederer »

I looked at the Adafruit modules, but went with the generic one because a) it was locally available and b) it was 1/4 the cost. I only need it to play a single file at the press of a button.

As for the file name, I knew from the spec sheet what the format has to be. It was just a case of fumble fingers and carelessness that I originally misnamed it. My other "error" was assuming that the coding pins had to be tied to either Vcc or Gnd. In fact, the unused ones can be left floating, only the one which specifies the significant digit in the filename has to be triggered by the switch going to Gnd. So I had wired it far more complicated than it needed to be. I did use the DAC outputs instead of the speaker ones, to drive a small amp: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07QDY14SJ?psc ... ct_details which drives little speakers for a stereo effect: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08YWYZDQW?psc ... ct_details They sound surprisingly good up to about half volume, then they distort. I'm building them into pockets in the frame.

Ah, I just gave away a large part of the answer! Tex, you are correct. It is a frame for a piece of art. The main project is the artwork, not the frame. They both involve fairly intense use of the CNC though.
Joe Federer

www.federer.ca

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

To quote "Number 2" from The Prisoner series (yes I am that old): "We want Information" !

But I am not going to chase you with some bubble globes...
Dovetail and Finger Joint, Puzzle, Maze and Guilloche freeware at fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

jfederer wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:31 pm
... They sound surprisingly good up to about half volume, then they distort....
If you want to evaluate something different, try using 4 ohm speakers instead of those 8 ohm speakers. The amp you selected is designed to power 4 ohm speakers, and that might improve the sound output. Although, I understand that volume in your application is not the most important thing; perhaps the least important.

+1

jfederer
Vectric Wizard

Post by jfederer »

Gert, that was one of the most disturbing shows I've watched. I only saw a few episodes, and I was very young, but it has haunted me (at a low level) ever since. All kinds of implications...

Tex, I think you've figured it out. Here are more photos from today:
Electronic components
Electronic components
Lovely maple parts!
Lovely maple parts!
Full frame
Full frame
I used Tailmaker's "Puzzle My Joint" in Polygon mode, but didn't leave enough relief. So I'll be doing some manual sanding on the joints. The switch that goes on the Roasted Maple boss is quite deep, hence the "Oh Crap!" moment. The main parts are already 46.6 mm deep, the switch requires a minimum depth of 65.

I'm getting more comfortable with Aspire's 3D design tools. And I had to tile the long pieces, another minor complication.

Tex, I appreciate your comment about 4 vs 8 ohm speakers, but you're right - volume isn't really even on the priorities list, package size is! And as for the amp, the price was right and it runs on 5V from the USB. So no, not ideal, but it works well enough.

Yesterday and today were major machining days. There won't be much visible progress for a few days while I complete the frame assembly. The main art piece also needs several more steps of work.
Joe Federer

www.federer.ca

jfederer
Vectric Wizard

Post by jfederer »

Getting closer to the big reveal! Here's the frame, ready to go. There's a plywood back for it too. The audio works just fine through those small speakers, which are embedded on the sides of the frame. The finish is 4 coats of Livos oil.
Frame with big green button
Frame with big green button
Joe Federer

www.federer.ca

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Ever since you "revealed" Tailmaker's puzzle joint, I've wanted to put them into a frame. I was concerned how it would look, but no more. You've embraced the look with a contrast and finish, and it is just great. (The closest that I got was to put the joint between four 12" squares to make a larger square.)

Hoping you can display some of the artwork in a video so we can hear the sound; if only a short video. +1

jfederer
Vectric Wizard

Post by jfederer »

My original plan was to use contrasting wood for the sides, but the maple looked so nice I went with the contrast in the joint itself. I just sanded the edges to a bevel, then rubbed in wood filler.

Yes, I will make a video once all is done. Should be in a week or so. I just applied the final clear-coat to the art piece. The dregs of the epoxy mixed at 3:1 instead of the specified 2:1 so cure time will be longer than the usual 3-4 days.
Joe Federer

www.federer.ca

jfederer
Vectric Wizard

Post by jfederer »

Solar System Project 1 is done!!! Here's the build log: https://fabrikisto.com/ongoing-work/ and here's the listing in my sculpture website: https://ksi.ca/solar-system-project-1/

It took over 2 months of pretty constant work, a few hours per day on average. There were several "Oops" moments, as there are with most projects.

Here's an overview photo.
SSP18.jpg
Joe Federer

www.federer.ca

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Now WHO wouldathunkthat!!

WAY well thought out project Joe!! :)

Well Done Sir!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

A true piece of tactile art. The audio did not disappoint me at all. I was expecting less filling sound, but your audio system sounded great even through the video source. It must sound even better right in front of it. +1

FabLab Wageningen
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Ooznest Workbee 1500x1500

Post by FabLab Wageningen »

Awesome.

That's work on galactic level ;-)

Marcel.