Help With 3d Modeling a New Job

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
awhite
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Swift 4x4

Help With 3d Modeling a New Job

Post by awhite »

Hello everyone. So the shop I work at got a job in for some pool table legs. We will be turning these on a Mattison lathe and then they will be coming over to my CNC table to do some fluting on each side. I will be doing these on the barrel of each side with has a curve to it. And also the outside flutes curve as different direction as well. I have Aspire and and new to the 3d part of it. I'm looking to see if anyone has any advice on starting this project and how I can go about making the correct toolpaths for what I am looking for. I have pictures included in this port and a picture of my program showing that I do have a drawing of the table leg to use for reference. I am Just wondering how to turn the barrel part into some 3d to have toolpaths on (if that makes any sense)!

I know there is a ton more knowledge on here than what I possess, which is why I am starting my adventure here!

Thanks in advance!
PXL_20230308_220143062.jpg
PXL_20230308_220152559.jpg
PXL_20230308_220156929.jpg
PXL_20230308_220207157.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-08 171243.png

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Help With 3d Modeling a New Job

Post by Rcnewcomb »

- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

So I watched a video on a Mattison lathe because I was unaware of this machine.

You said you are just getting into 3d, this appears to be an advance 3d operation and I would not recommend it for your first job.
Another reason not to learn an advanced project is you have a time crunch since this is a paying job.

Are we only talking about cutting the flutes?

Why some work on a lathe when I don't see any round surfaces?

You will have to figure out a way to reference the precut part in your CNC so it is square to the Aspire file.
Some type of fixture/jig clamps that holds both ends so the flutes can be referenced and cut.
Your flutes and not flat so you are going model that shape so your flutes are a uniform depth.

In your screen shot of vectors what is set of vectors in the lower left hand corner?
Were the legs in your photos created with the vectors that represent the leg?

Your 3 photos show what appears to be completed legs how were they made?

Not trying to stifle your learning (I learn best from doing a project I need done too), but this is really not a first time level project.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I would forget the lathe and do it as (two) 2-sided jobs and using a jig, making sure you have reference points on both the jig and material, so the material is lined up correctly for each rotation. (Or you can use the pins as reference in the tutorials).

Gary

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

If all faces are the same then I'd say this is a single-sided job that just needs to be flipped four times. The most difficult face to cut would be the last as it's opposite might not be supported well. Although if you make the material overlong it would. You'd just have to trim off the excess material with a bandsaw or some such.

From the look of it I'd expect it could be done pretty much all as 2D toolpaths: multiple moulding toolpaths and profile toolpaths.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Here is how another person runs 8 table legs at a time:
I just set up a 2 rail sweep to match the width of the 8 leg blanks.(plus a minor over run)
Set blocks on the table to push the blanks against for registration.
Clamped the blanks together and ran machine relief in raster across the 8 blanks. I also clamped dunage (scrap 1x4) on the sides to control chip out
Rotated each blank 90° re-clamped and re-ran the toolpath, repeated for all sides. You will see I left an inch or so on the end to keep the blanks in the horizontal plane, which were removed at the mitre saw later

This is a more efficient way to cut tapered legs than using the indexer

TableLegs.JPG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Alpha CNC 6090 with 4th Axis

Post by Jimcad »

Nice one Randall.

awhite
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Swift 4x4

Post by awhite »

ohiolyons wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:16 pm
So I watched a video on a Mattison lathe because I was unaware of this machine.

You said you are just getting into 3d, this appears to be an advance 3d operation and I would not recommend it for your first job.
Another reason not to learn an advanced project is you have a time crunch since this is a paying job.

Are we only talking about cutting the flutes?

Why some work on a lathe when I don't see any round surfaces?

You will have to figure out a way to reference the precut part in your CNC so it is square to the Aspire file.
Some type of fixture/jig clamps that holds both ends so the flutes can be referenced and cut.
Your flutes and not flat so you are going model that shape so your flutes are a uniform depth.

In your screen shot of vectors what is set of vectors in the lower left hand corner?
Were the legs in your photos created with the vectors that represent the leg?

Your 3 photos show what appears to be completed legs how were they made?

Not trying to stifle your learning (I learn best from doing a project I need done too), but this is really not a first time level project.
Well I was able to achieve what I was looking for. Luckily I'm good enough with Aspire but this was the perfect project to test my knowledge of the 3d portion. Sometimes a time crunch forces you to get it right, which I'm used to here at work! I'm going to try to address all of your points here

- Yes I was going to be cutting the flutes on the legs on each side. Which I'll be doing my test runs later today!

- Mattison lathes can turn square part due to the ability to change out cams to whatever shape we need. We have done oval shaped handles before as well.

- We have a jig in the works to perfectly hold the legs in the correct reference position.

- And the leg shown that has the flutes done was our customer sample as these have been made before but the job is being moved to our shop now to better production.

- I'll attach some pictures later on as the project gets under way!
Screenshot 2023-03-09 142513.png

garylmast wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:25 pm
I would forget the lathe and do it as (two) 2-sided jobs and using a jig, making sure you have reference points on both the jig and material, so the material is lined up correctly for each rotation. (Or you can use the pins as reference in the tutorials).

Gary

I had ran the idea through my head about using a hand router and a jig made but with some other variables, that sadly wont work.

adze_cnc wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:34 pm
If all faces are the same then I'd say this is a single-sided job that just needs to be flipped four times. The most difficult face to cut would be the last as it's opposite might not be supported well. Although if you make the material overlong it would. You'd just have to trim off the excess material with a bandsaw or some such.

From the look of it I'd expect it could be done pretty much all as 2D toolpaths: multiple moulding toolpaths and profile toolpaths.

Correct. I'll be doing these 1 side as a time as we don't have the extra axis to let the machine rotate the part for me. As I write this, we are making the jig/fixture to hold the legs in place on the table.

Hope I was able to reply to everyone. I will keep everyone posted as the job continues forward now that I had the programing fleshed out and will be running test later today! Thanks for all your input

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Wow!!!

Those 4 legs combined weight may out weigh the tables weight!

Interesting and impressive project!!!

Will you be able to post completed table when the job is finished? Sure would be awesome to see!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554