Help needed - creating a funnel

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Onetrack
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Help needed - creating a funnel

Post by Onetrack »

Hi all, I've recently upgraded to Aspire and am learning, learning, learning...!
I need a few pointers to create a funnel per this thread from a while back: viewtopic.php?t=10466

The shape I'm looking to replicate is the funnel in the diagram. An Aspire file would really help me.

thanks for all your time and take it easy either way.

John
the natural human tendency is to want to assign meaning to random events.
Attachments
Funnel 2.png
Funnel 1.png
The more I learn the more I forget.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Help needed - creating a funnel

Post by SteveNelson46 »

You can cut the inside with a moulding toolpath as shown in your pic. You cannot model or toolpath the outside in Aspire unless you design it as a rotary project. Aspire can't model or display undercuts. You could cut the inside on the table and then design some sort of clamp or holding device to mount it on the rotary. I have seen it done in videos but I have never tried it.
Steve

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

On second thought, you might be able to cut it as a 2-sided project. Cut the inside first then flip it over and cut the outside.
Steve

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I only have trial of Aspire so I can't upload a file. But, I don't really see the difficulty. Just draw the profile, draw two circles of an appropriate diameter, then use the two-rail sweep:

two-rail sweep.png

Alternatively you could use the spinning tool (probably not available in 2011) to do the same thing:

spinning.jpg

You'll need to model the rectangular solid that surrounds the funnel shape.

No double-side, no 4th-axis, no undercuts.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

adze_cnc wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:49 pm
I only have trial of Aspire so I can't upload a file. But, I don't really see the difficulty. Just draw the profile, draw two circles of an appropriate diameter, then use the two-rail sweep:

two-rail sweep.png

Alternatively you could use the spinning tool (probably not available in 2011) to do the same thing:

spinning.jpg

You'll need to model the rectangular solid that surrounds the funnel shape.

No double-side, no 4th-axis, no undercuts.
How would you create the funnel shape on the outside to match the inside? I think that was the original question. He already has the shape on the inside using a moulding toolpath.
Steve

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

What is the size (especially the height) of that thing? You will need at least a bit as long as the height (plus collet clamping) and a machine travel twice that height.

If you got that, easy-peasy with a 2-sided project. Moulding tool path inside as recommended earlier, then offset the profile vector by the wall thickness, move the new vector to the other side and create another moulding path there with that new vector.

You may have to create a starting hole on the inside or cut some relief pockets if the bit flute length does not allow for full depth machining.
Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Tailmaker wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:26 am
What is the size (especially the height) of that thing? You will need at least a bit as long as the height (plus collet clamping) and a machine travel twice that height.

If you got that, easy-peasy with a 2-sided project. Moulding tool path inside as recommended earlier, then offset the profile vector by the wall thickness, move the new vector to the other side and create another moulding path there with that new vector.

You may have to create a starting hole on the inside or cut some relief pockets if the bit flute length does not allow for full depth machining.
I agree. This is similar to a bowl project. Inside and outside can't be toolpathed from only one side. It might be done with a moulding toolpath on the inside and outside if there is enough clearance for the spindle and collet.
Steve

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

Could not resist. Here an example...
For some reason "Use automatic boundary offset" must be checked to make it work (i.e. go to full depth). But I have no idea what that is and why.
Work holding may be an interesting challenge as well.
Funnel.crv
(645 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Screenshot 2023-03-08 172559.jpg
Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

Onetrack
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Onetrack »

Brilliant answers Steve, adze_cnc & Tailmaker. The discussions and file really helps, thank you! I was trying to do it using a Two Rail Sweep, but failed miserably!

Vectric say: where there is an extreme edge like this, you need to add in a Boundary Offset in the toolpaths to allow it to cut out further.
Otherwise as the tool reaches its boundary it will stop there which on a steep edge can be quite high up the edge.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Glad you figured it out. You might want to reduce the height of the moulding toolpath profile on both sides to just slightly less than the material thickness. That will leave a little material to hold the part in place instead of using tabs. Also, you might try to cut the hole from the bottom side so you can use a shorter bit.
Steve

Onetrack
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Onetrack »

Yes - very good...
SteveNelson46 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:52 pm
Glad you figured it out. You might want to reduce the height of the moulding toolpath profile on both sides to just slightly less than the material thickness. That will leave a little material to hold the part in place instead of using tabs. Also, you might try to cut the hole from the bottom side so you can use a shorter bit.