Pocket direction cut change

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
sirmiumsm
Model of CNC Machine: ATC2023 blue elephant

Pocket direction cut change

Post by sirmiumsm »

Hi
I have general question, how to change start for the vector and machine when I am running Pocket cut with 4mm pocket with and 4mm endmill down cut router bit? I had try to change the start point in the node mode but nothing change. Pocket is 4mm wide and 64mm long, with 4mm tool
Thanks

Zack B.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Pocket direction cut chaneg

Post by martin54 »

If you are cutting a slot the width of the tool & you want to set a start point then you could use a single vector with the profile toolpath & cut on the line, then you can set the green node at whichever end you want :lol: :lol:

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Pocket direction cut chaneg

Post by adze_cnc »

If you use martin’s suggestion the line you will draw will be 60mm long leaving 2mm space on each end to the existing rectangle’s boundary.

If you want to use the existing rectangle you could use a profile toolpath set to cut inside.

sirmiumsm

Re: Pocket direction cut change

Post by sirmiumsm »

Hi, Thank you for replay.
drawing center line on the dxf files with 50 pockets drawing is time consuming :(
If I use existing pocket drawing 60mm x 4mm, Aspire or Vcarve Pro, will not execute profile option, (where I can change direction of my tool very important), it will just make two dots at the start and the end.
However, if I add to width of the drawing, 0.05mm (from 4mm to 4.05mm), system will execute profile option and it will follow start option every time I change start node
Can I have explanation why?

Zack B.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

sirmiumsm wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:42 pm
Can I have explanation why?
Generally it has to do with the way computer languages handle numbers. In most computer languages 0.1 + 0.2 = 0.30000000000000004

When the router bit size equals the rectangle width, depending on how Aspire is calculating the offset for the bit, it might conclude that it can't fit (as you've seen). The simplest way around that is either tell it that the bit is 3.999mm in diameter or specify an "Allowance offset" of -0.001mm.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

It was explained to me as rounding errors when the computer works out the toolpath, with some sizes it seems to work & with others it doesn't, select your 4mm bit for the cut & then use the edit button next to the tool selection button & set the tool diameter slightly smaller than 4mm as has already been said, if you do it that way then the change in tool diameter will only apply to that particular toolpath & won't change the diameter in your tool database :lol: :lol:

sirmiumsm

Post by sirmiumsm »

Hi,

Thank you all very much. All problems fixed, tested on the CNC and it is working fine. Great support.

Zack B. :D :D

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

sirmiumsm wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:42 pm
drawing center line on the dxf files with 50 pockets drawing is time consuming :(
There is a gadget that I wrote that will create a centre line from rectangles - https://gadgets.vectric.com/V11/dado_creator

sirmiumsm

Post by sirmiumsm »

Thank you for gadget. It will be a good help ion the future

Zack B.