Rotary Question

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
dbrook
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4 DIY Router

Rotary Question

Post by dbrook »

I have recently added a rotary axis to my router and have successfully completed my first rotary carved test piece. After sharing the success with my daughter I was asked if I count make a piece to extend the height of her antique table legs. She has decided on basically copying a portion of the existing leg. After discussing several design options for the piece and carefully measuring a leg I made a profile drawing of the part. The Aspire crv file, a dxf file and a picture of the end of an exiting leg are attached. The leg section outlined in red is what she would like to have me make. As you will see there are three different sections ( A, B and C) on the leg part. After watching all the Vectric rotary tutorials I am not sure how or if this part can can be cut on the rotary. I would think it would be possible. Drawing the profile for section A is straight forward but but how you would go about creating the drawing for sections C or especially section B remains a puzzle for me.

Any suggestions or thoughts on how to accomplish this task would be most appreciated.

Dan
Attachments
LEG ADDITION.crv3d
(126.5 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
LEG ADDITION DXF.dxf
(276.5 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
LED IMAGE.JPG

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Rotary Question

Post by garylmast »

Sometimes it's just easier to do it in different software. This was done with Rhino.

Gary
Attachments
Leg addition.zip
(34.38 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Capture.JPG

JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AxiomAR6Pro

Post by JoeBlow »

This can be done with Aspire as well. The tutorial, "Modeling a Spindle", will help with this one.

Section C was done utilizing a square vector and the "vector unwrapper". Section B was a little challenging and I would need to clean my example file up and post for you to see better. Took a few tries to get in the ballpark. I created a tapered sweep and then used the previously unwrapped vector to delete a portion of that sweep to give Section C the final arc at the top. Fiddled around with base height and merge until the transition was relatively smooth.
Table Leg.png
Patrick

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

dbrook
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4 DIY Router

Post by dbrook »

Gary and Patrick,

Thank you so much for responding to my request for assistance. It is obvious that you both have invested a lot of time in developing your responses. Both responses are most helpful and they are very much appreciated. The Rhino model is spot on and the technique with Aspire sure gives me an approach I can work toward. I am definitely going to check into Rhino and and look more closely at the spindle tutorial. Rotary is all new to me and I can see I have a lot more learn beyond wrapping a 3D model around a cylinder.

Thanks again for your help. You guys are the tops.

Dan

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

The tapered ends are the challenge if you want to do this all in aspire. If you start with a square block you could do a 2.5D moulding toolpath to taper the top face section, rotate 90, taper the new top face, rotate and repeat and repeat. The rounded top sections are fairly easy as a rotary toolpath using the moulding toolpath. a profile of the shape(s), and a guide line across the top edge of he flat material representation. You might have to lie about the size of the initial block and use a starting depth for the moulding toolpath.
I can't show you a render of mixed 2.5D and rotary toolpaths. The amount of taper is so slight that you should be able to cut them while on the rotary axis. If not, then cut them as a 4-sided job (same toolpath for each side) before mounting the now tapered block on the rotary axis. Heck, you could cut the tapers on a bandsaw, or sand them to a taper using a belt or disc sander.
4D