material for measuring scales and angle scales

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
endgrainguy
Vectric Apprentice

material for measuring scales and angle scales

Post by endgrainguy »

I'm looking to produce inexpensive accurate measuring scales, similar to the self-adhesive steel 1/2" wide tapes sold by Starrett ,Oregon Rule, and many others. These would be for use in a cross cut sled and miter gauge line of kits I'm planning to sell. I also need arc shaped angle measurement scales. I would have these items printed by a commercial printer, shooting for about $4-7 a square foot.

A big problem for me is my unfamiliarity with the materials one might use for these, and the printers themselves lack of knowledge about the precision of their machinery and materials. I want to make 25" long measurement scales that would be adhered with transfer tape to a rabbet in a wooden bar. I'd use 2 scales for each unit, a 0-25" scale and an extension piece, 24"-48". I'd be shooting for about .015" per 24" accuracy.

The angle measuring arcs are mostly 90 degree quadrants, about 12" long and 1.25" cross section, though one variation is a 90 degree arc 20.5" long. The angle scales will fit into a precision milled mortise.

Given there are commercial alternatives, if producing inexpensive length scales of sufficient accuracy isn't feasible, I still need to produce the angle scales. I have an accurate self-built CNC machine with a Donek drag knife for cutting soft materials, and have an accurate arc cutting jig on my band saw that would work for cutting the arc shapes on a media of sufficient rigidity.

I've considered .02"-.04" thick aluminum (which I'd cut on my band saw), styrene sign making material, the synthetic papers used for restaurant menus (my favorite, but hard to find a printer who will do this in sheets longer than 19"), "laminated" paper, and poster boards. I'm figuring there are plenty of people on this forum really knowledgeable about this sort of thing who might be able to advise me.

For any curious about the sort of thing I'm making, here's an introductory video of one prototype:

Thanks!
I thought this was supposed to make life easier?

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: material for measuring scales and angle scales

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Try this. I bought one a long time ago at a wood show and the scale seems to be accurate

https://www.in-lineindustries.com/produ ... ent-parts/
Steve

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: material for measuring scales and angle scales

Post by ger21 »

I'd look into having them laser cut and engraved from thin stainless steel. Not as expensive as you might think.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com