Carving resolution?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
JustinW
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 PRO

Carving resolution?

Post by JustinW »

Can anyone tell me what might be causing the difference between these two carvings? I make these in large numbers for my cremation urns that I make and suddenly the quality has changed.
CabinInWoods.jpg
The top one is the new one that I am having trouble with. For some reason it almost appears to have holes, or as if the Z height was too low... The logs in the cabin have lost their roundness... Could this be a resolution issue? My file is too large to share here. I am carving these on a 600mm x 1200mm bed. An Axiom Pro+. I have one file with probably 30-40 models in the component list that I turn the visibility either on or off, depending on what I want to carve that day. Could this be the problem? Could it be a Zero plane problem? I have been carving these for several years without any issues. I should mention that I have Aspire 9.519. Any help will be appreciated. This is my living, not a hobby so I really do need to get it figured out soon!

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Carving resolution?

Post by adze_cnc »

For all the world it looks like the cutter specified in the toolpath is different from the cutter cutting the job. e,g, 6mm cutter in the toolpath being cut with a 1/4" (6.35mm) cutter, etc.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

Is it the same file? Did you resave the file for any reason?

If it is the same file that you always use, then it has to be something at the machine. Sure looks like the top version was carved with a larger bit than the bottom one. Are you sure you loaded up the right bit?

If you re-saved the file for some reason, then there are several possibilities:

1. You could have made the material size larger, resulting in the same number of pixels covering a larger space leading to loss of resolution
2. You could have saved or imported a higher resolution image to a project set up in lower resolution

I'm sure there are other possibilities. Did anything else change?
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

JustinW

Post by JustinW »

Thanks neighbor! I didn't think it was, but upon further inspection, it looks like when I changed from a regular ball nose to a tapered ball nose, I entered the radius wrong. I'm guessing that will clear it up! I'll give it a try but I'm sure that'll be it.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

JustinW wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:48 pm
Thanks neighbor! I didn't think it was, but upon further inspection, it looks like when I changed from a regular ball nose to a tapered ball nose, I entered the radius wrong. I'm guessing that will clear it up! I'll give it a try but I'm sure that'll be it.
Ballnose bits are entered in the tool database using the tip diameter & Tapered bits are entered by using the radius of the tip, it is a mistake that is quite easy to make :lol: :lol:

JustinW

Post by JustinW »

Yeah it turned out that my radius was set to half the size of what it should have been... :roll: oh well at least it was an easy fix!