Hum...why is this doing this. Create Shape

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Mark Jones
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 5

Hum...why is this doing this. Create Shape

Post by Mark Jones »

Ok. Here is a file I am working on. It's a Royal Ranger Emblem that I use to promote Royal Rangers (Church Boyscout type program) is a copyright emblem. I don't sell my stuff and we have a use if we follow guidelnes. So to make some cool boxes and things for young men of all ages I just bought Aspire upgrade from pro and am STARTING to learn modeling. (I am dumber than a rock) So please bear/bare with me. GROWling!

Here is a link to the file.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZHo8rx ... share_link

My issue. I don't have a apply button available (it's greyed out) in this file to modify any shape I create. I do if I exit this file and create a new file. It works fine. This file it doesn't matter what layer or anything if I create a vector it won't allow me to apply it. What am I doing wrong in my new learning process.
Thanks so much in advance for looking at this for me. Also if you have any advice for me I am all ears.
Mark Jones

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: Hum...why is this doing this. Create Shape

Post by dealguy11 »

What kind of shape are you trying to create, and what tool are you using to create it?

The circle and the other apparently closed shape that you created are not closed vectors. That can make a difference in some cases.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Mark Jones
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mark Jones »

Very good. I had ran vector validater on the 2 vectors and they showed no problems. However I ran a vcarve on the vector and it showed one open vector as you pointed me to. I then used the weld, join, create line, create arc tools and it cleared it up and I can now the create shape tool works.

Thanks. I had originally created a new circle in the file and it did the same thing as the other 2 vectors. This time I opened the file and it worked when I created a new circle and make it into a shape.

Thanks for the help. I will look closer at my vectors and run a vcarve on them to see if they are really closed or not.
Mark Jones

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

The vector validator won't show anything because an open vector is not a problem :lol: :lol:

No need to run a toolpath, use the edit tab & selection, show all open vectors or you could also click on the vector, use the right click menu & look to see if the join/close vector option is available or greyed out :lol: :lol:

Mark Jones
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mark Jones »

Excellent! You guys already taught me a bunch today. Things you all take for granted are like a new fence post to me.

:oops:

This is the first time I have created a 3d object from scratch well just by looking at a patch and making the original vectors anyway.
Since earlier today the file for download has been changed quite a bit. Made layers and broke each point into separate vectors.

I had some issues with my layers. I would make a layer active and then copy the vectors to it then find it didn't leave the vectors in the original layer. Something weird was going on. I watched Bekia's video on this and it may have been my grouping and copying that was putting them in places I didn't want them to go. There is a option for put back on original layers or all to new layers. I ended up with it right but it was a challenge for me to get it all to stay put. :oops:

Learning. Thanks for the tips.
Mark Jones