Pocket holes with flat sides

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
kingerjt
Model of CNC Machine: Powermatic PM-2x4SPK

Re: Pocket holes with flat sides

Post by kingerjt »

SteveNelson46 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:53 pm
As Randall has suggested, change the circles to true circles and the problem seems to go away.
Thanks but I don't know what you mean by "true circles".
I used the circle tool. I've tried recalculating the toolpath and a higher resolution.
Nothing seems to work.
Could it be something in my controller?

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

kingerjt wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:42 pm
SteveNelson46 wrote:
As Randall has suggested, change the circles to true circles and the problem seems to go away.
I used the circle tool. I've tried recalculating the toolpath and a higher resolution.
Nothing seems to work.
I downloaded the file, and had the wonky toolpath showing (not a circle, but a seven sided (septagon?) object). I recalculated and it turned into a proper circle.

I am wondering if you adjusted a setting somewhere that effects the accuracy of circles. Check your settings (Edit>Options).

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I tried altering that setting and it made little difference. The maximum input-able value for the setting is 0.02 inches or 0.5mm. That's not to say that the original poster's setting didn't somehow get set to absurdly large value.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

kingerjt wrote:
True circles are circles created by the circle tool.
kingerjt wrote:
If by controller you mean your CNC machine's controller then no.
kingerjt wrote:
I've tried recalculating the toolpath and a higher resolution.
I think we're talking at cross-purposes here. Recalculation is not referring to altering the circles but by editing the toolpath and clicking on the calculate button (or by right-clicking on the toolpath's name and choosing the menu entry "Recalculate").

The following image shows what happens if you use the "Curve Fit" tool to replace the circle with straight lines with a tolerance of 0.75mm. You get a heptagon.

BR-bad fit curves.png

When you calculate a pocket toolpath using that object you get the following toolpath shape (with the heptagonal shape):

BR-toolpath preview with bad.png

If you delete the heptagon and replace it with a "true circle" and do not recalulate the toolpath using the new vector you get this preview:

BR-bad no recalc.PNG

Looks suspiciously similar doesn't it?

This is that same circle recalculated (anomaly disappears):

BR-recalculated.PNG

Attached is a file with the following four "circles":

Circle created by the circle tool ("true circle")
Circle created by the circle tool ("true circle")

Circle "Curve Fit" to Bézier curves
Circle "Curve Fit" to Bézier curves

Circle "Curve Fit" to circular arcs
Circle "Curve Fit" to circular arcs

Circle "Curve Fit" to straight lines (0.0254mm tolerance)
Circle "Curve Fit" to straight lines (0.0254mm tolerance)

There are two toolpaths (your original pocket and profile toolpaths). They have not been calculated so they will not show any preview.

I'd suggest downloading the file. Then recalculate all toolpaths. Does the privew of the toolpaths show the anomaly in you original file? If it does then there is something wrong that is going to be difficult to diagnose.

By the way: what version of VCarve are you running. You find that be selecting "About VCarve..." in the help menu.
Attachments
pocket circle test.crv
(34 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

adze_cnc wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:12 am
By the way: what version of VCarve are you running. You find that be selecting "About VCarve..." in the help menu.
It's 11.504, I checked that when the file was posted as I had similar thoughts that it might be something that doesn't show in later versions.

If the vector was curve fitted, calculated for a toolpath and then replaced with a true circle the toolpath wouldn't select those new vectors when edited as it's doing in the OP's original file.

That's what's really confusing me with this file the toolpath is showing that those vectors are the ones used to calculate the toolpath.

kingerjt
Model of CNC Machine: Powermatic PM-2x4SPK

Post by kingerjt »

ZipperHead55 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:47 am
kingerjt wrote:
SteveNelson46 wrote:
Nothing seems to work.
I downloaded the file, and had the wonky toolpath showing (not a circle, but a seven sided (septagon?) object). I recalculated and it turned into a proper circle.

I am wondering if you adjusted a setting somewhere that effects the accuracy of circles. Check your settings (Edit>Options).

Okay, I went to program options and clicked restore original settings.
The problem disappeared. I must have inadvertently changed something and did not realize it, however I am not familiar with the options window that popped up so I don't know how that may have happened.
Thanks to all for the help and advice.