shopbot indexer post

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: shopbot indexer post

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Randall,

I can't thank you enough for enlightening me on Milo's method of spiral turning. I've been revisiting some of my rotary projects and testing his method and, so far, I have found that it is a major improvement over most of the the standard rotary methods of toolpathing. One of my granddaughters requested a set of the candle holders I made a couple of years ago. It's the same ones featured in one of the Vectric newsletters. I made a few changes and then tried the new toolpathing method of continuous rotary turning. The quality turned out to be exactly the same but the cut time was reduced from 5 hours to a little over an hour. This is an amazing technique. I'll post some pictures when the project is complete. Again, thank you very much for your information and generosity in sharing your discovery. I think that is what makes this forum great.
Steve

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Steve,
I've submitted a request to Vectric support to add a continuous turn toolpath for rotary, based on Milo Scott's method, in a future release.

If others send a similar request into support@vectric.com perhaps we will see this as a native rotary toolpath in a future release.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

That's a great idea Randall but it might be a little difficult for beginners to understand the wrapping gadget. Especially using it in place of a 3D toolpath. Milo does explain it in detail though.
Steve