desktop to Aspire

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
electrictermite
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Carve King

desktop to Aspire

Post by electrictermite »

Im almost ready to sell a kidney so i can upgrade my 11.5 vcare desktop to Aspire so i can make my on designs. How many of you really think the upgrade was something you really needed and still think you made the right choice.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: desktop to Aspire

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I purchased VCarve when it was called VCarve Wizard V2.0. I've been using Aspire since it was first released. The main benefit of Aspire is more/better 3D tools.

Your question is best answered by you.
Do you want to create your own 3D designs?
Do you want more control over modifying purchased designs?
Will you be selling products with your 3D designs? If so, will the revenue from those projects offset the purchase price?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

electrictermite
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Carve King

Post by electrictermite »

the first 3 questions would be YES. The last question is the question most of us ask, will we make a profit.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I would agree with Randall completely when he says that you are the only one who can decide, for some it is well worth it & for others it isn't worth it at all. Best thing really is to download the trial version & take it for a test drive yourself, don't forget that if you do decide to go ahead & purchase it then as long as you install the licenced version on the same computer the trial version is installed on any work that you have already done can be used with the licenced version.

On top of what Randall has already said I would ask what sort of 3D designs do you want to be able to create? Like any software that I have come across it is not the best for all things & I think that applies across the board with any type of software, not just CNC machining. That's been my experience anyway :lol: :lol:

Some people seem to pick up 3D modelling fairly quickly, to be honest I haven't been one of those, I am OK with some of it but when it comes to building complex designs where components are stacked up or overlap each other then I start to get a little lost with the different combine modes, different levels, fades, tilts etc etc. I started as a signmaker more than 20 years ago doing cad cut vinyl & large format print & had no problems whatsoever with 2D graphics :lol: :lol:
The big advantage of being able to design yourself is that you are not limited to what you can find so you can be totally unique in what you can offer people, if they can't find anyone else doing the same thing you are then it is easier to charge a bit more :lol: :lol:

As Randall has already said it is much easier to change any 3D design you already have or are thinking of buying using the modelling tools.

If I were you then I would download the trial version & try it out for yourself, you may not quite be ready to purchase yet but you can still start to learn, work on some designs & see how you get on. I would also have a look at Michael Mezalick's youtube channel, he has some excellent tutorials on 3D modelling using Aspire :lol: :lol:

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

I upgraded about a year ago. I'm not good at 3D design (spent a frustrating year trying to learn Fission 360) but I had a personal project that needed the Aspire capabilities. Now that I have it, I find it liberating to be able to just open it and do 3D stuff that would have been challenging or impossible in VCarve. Nothing fancy, but there certainly is a sense of freedom in having it.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

You can put off the kidney surgery if you download the trial version (a.k.a. try-before-you-buy), run through some tutorial videos, and evaluate whether you still have the desire to do your own modelling.

A seasonal tutorial would be Michael Mezalick's Santa from a photo found here.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

V-Carve Pro is EVERY bit as powerful as Aspire - with only ONE exception

3D modeling.
There may be some advantage with how many models you can use

Randal - hit the nail on the head - 3D modeling capability

Did I think I needed it - yes
Do I use it - yes
Do I still use it after several years - yes
Do I make money with it - yes
Did Aspire sell enough to cover the cost - yes
Would I do it again - yes
BUT - I made money with V-Carve Pro - before it had 3D capability
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Mark Jones
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 5

Post by Mark Jones »

A few days ago I just updated to Aspire from Vcarve Pro. 3 years ago I started with Desktop as it came with my Shark HD510.
As the hundreds of projects have flowed through my CNC experience as I learned and became comfortable with each version I found as I grew in my projects that I wanted to do more and more complex stuff.

3 years ago I would say I didn't need Aspire. Today I am excited to start learning the 3D aspect of CNC.

Yesterday I cut out 14 plaques and carved them out of red cedar. I looked up on the web what I could charge for these plaques if I wanted to. Anywhere from 35.00 to 85.00 each. I pretty much donate my stuff for prizes for a Church Scout Program called Royal Rangers and really enjoy making stuff. I worked long and hard for retirement and saved some retirement funds for a fun retirement. Yet it's good to know I could make some good money with these Vectric powered software if I want to.

Aspire is built on the desktop and pro and it's just a natural fit to start editing 3d models to add to the fun of CNC.

I love making boxes. Love making box joints. Love making straight and square stuff. Love making joints and working with all kinds of woods. The artist pen and brush are beyond my abilities. I can draft. Yet Aspire is inspiring me to look at these models and put them together. I am so much looking forward to making stuff "Really Really Cool" even though it's Really Really cool now! HA!

Funds are important write it off as a learning experience and see what you can create!
Mark Jones

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Mark Jones wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:32 pm
I looked up on the web what I could charge for these plaques if I wanted to. Anywhere from 35.00 to 85.00 each. I pretty much donate my stuff for prizes for a Church Scout Program called Royal Rangers and really enjoy making stuff. I worked long and hard for retirement and saved some retirement funds for a fun retirement. Yet it's good to know I could make some good money with these Vectric powered software if I want to.
Is it good money for the amount of time it takes to cut and finish them once you've factored in all the costs though? Seems very low to me.

Mark Jones
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 5

Post by Mark Jones »

I agree. To charge for my services would be considerably more. The ability to donate it as a gift of my time and efforts in many ways is better than pay for services. (I have done this for many years as a Church Scout Leader in Royal Ranger Ministry)
The cedar boards were cut from Trees on our Campground property. They were then cut to 4' lengths and then resawed into 1" boards then stickered and allowed to dry for a year or so. Then planed. (it would be cheaper and a whole lot less work to just buy the cedar boards).....
Design and data input take time but once done, just once.......... it can be repeated so easily. 14 plaques took about 20 minutes to pour the new data into and after playing with glitches it was on to machining.

To make one of these plaques takes about 1 minute to setup and zero z and then slide the cam clamps and let it carve for 30 minutes while I go watch StarGate Universe. GRIN!
Sand and finish maybe a hour. So my total time is 4 hours of hands on for 14 plaques with 9.5 hours of CNC time. If I break even on my expenses I am happy. Most of the time it's considered donation and hobby - entertainment and service to my fellow man.

My Mom passed away and the funeral was 2 weeks ago. The house was full of furniture I had built over the past 45 years.....each piece reminding me of many years of great memories.

Software like Aspire can make the average furniture extra special with personalized cool stuff. Little boxes with a bit of something personal added to them will last for a long time. It's priceless to me. Bottom line. Invest in the stuff that takes you farther than you can imagine or put a cost on.

You guys on this board and youtube teaching me the best of Vectric and CNCing and Woodworking makes this stuff fun. Thanks!
Mark Jones