QR codes

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
kencraft

QR codes

Post by kencraft »

I have seen other software out there that will create these.

Does Aspire create QR codes with a widget or add on, update. I see it with a lot of laser software.
Tracy Spitulski
KenCraft Co Inc
Toledo Ohio
www.kencraftcompany.com
Shopbot PRS Alpha 6096

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: QR codes

Post by 4DThinker »

Search "QR code generator" on your favorite web browser, Many have a way to export the QR image as either a bitmap or vectors.
4D

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Short answer: No. Slightly longer answer: Create QR code elsewhere and import into Aspire via 2D line art file format.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Also, remember that QR code readers depend on contrasts to read the code. If its all one color, the reader will have trouble figuring out where the lines are.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

kencraft

Post by kencraft »

I was hoping it would have a feature like in other laser software software where it creates the code. Most creator sites only do they few then charge you.
Tracy Spitulski
KenCraft Co Inc
Toledo Ohio
www.kencraftcompany.com
Shopbot PRS Alpha 6096

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The majority I looked at when I had a need to do QR codes only had limits on dynamic codes. Static codes were unlimited and most offered them in vector format although QR bitmaps trace extremely well.

tbeaulieu
Model of CNC Machine: Bobs Evolution 4

Post by tbeaulieu »

I've tried a few times to do this and have yet to produce a readable piece. I've even tried spray paint and sanding for the contrast. One idea I've considered is a layered glue-up to cut through the top layer. For me, I wanted to try a wi-fi code to let house guests get o the wi-fi without needing to know the ssid or password.

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Post by Todd Bailey »

Hello...

Thought I might chime in on this one.

We have a QR code we made to have on display while at trade shows.

Depending on the trade show or event, the QR code will direct attendees to the same URL... but we switch out the content depending on what we would like to show them. I can't put a pic here seeing as I am unsure of what it is currently liking to.

The material I used was a MDF panel with a black vanier... kind of a faux wood finish. I cut it with a simple pocket toolpath using a 1/4" and 1/8" end mill. The 1/4" was the clearance tool, and the 1/8" I choose because I wanted to be sure it had "sharpish" corners. I was worried that if they were too radiused, it would not work. The finished size was 11"ish, and our inspiration was one we saw cut using a V-Bit.

The QR code was generated using https://www.qrcode-monkey.com - I imported in the bitmap into VCarve Desktop, traced it using the bitmap trace tool, and used those vectors for the pockets. It worked out very well.

Currently, we don't have a tool in the software to create QR codes or barcodes. If you think it would be something we need, maybe a "gadget" might do the trick.
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com

tbeaulieu

Post by tbeaulieu »

Interestingly, there are a ton of crazy types of QR that I had never seen before. Some tools let you choose from an array of styles.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

The qr code monkey linked above seems to havethe ability to export as svg, pdf, and eps. This might be speedier than importing the png file and tracing.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

It seems like this style would suit a CNC router much better:
QRcodeVectricCom.png

tbeaulieu

Post by tbeaulieu »

Yes, you def want an svg. To me, milling wasn't the issue, but rather contrast. As explained above, he used a two layer material, similar to what I was thinking.

kencraft

Post by kencraft »

I really like the idea of a gadget.

Currently, we don't have a tool in the software to create QR codes or barcodes. If you think it would be something we need, maybe a "gadget" might do the trick.
[/quote]
Tracy Spitulski
KenCraft Co Inc
Toledo Ohio
www.kencraftcompany.com
Shopbot PRS Alpha 6096

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Pop over to the "Gadget Request" sub-forum (here) and make a request... It might just get done as a New Year present.... 8)

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

tbeaulieu wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:46 pm
I've tried a few times to do this and have yet to produce a readable piece. I've even tried spray paint and sanding for the contrast. One idea I've considered is a layered glue-up to cut through the top layer. For me, I wanted to try a wi-fi code to let house guests get o the wi-fi without needing to know the ssid or password.
i've used phenolic plastic with a thinnish outer surface (mine happens to be light grey) with a black core. cutting with a v-bit enough to make the top of the channel wide enough for smart cameras to recognize works fine.