Problem with cutting

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
rayc
Vectric Apprentice

Problem with cutting

Post by rayc »

Hi. Having watched the tutorials several times and followed the step by step tutorial on importing clipart from the vectric cd into a working model and the tutorial for cutting I have hit a problem.

All the stages went as the tutorial until I came to sending the tool path to the machine.

I got the message " error occured while writing toolpathto file " " d:\vector_art_3d_clipart profile 1 roughing wheel.txt"

" check that the file is not read only" " the file is not open in another application and there is sufficient disc space available"

Any ideas what is going wrong.

On top of this I tried to save the file and got the message " fail to create file code 1"

I have created a model of my own design in Aspire and added an imported 3d model of the dogs head from cut 3d and this worked fine.

Thanks
Rayc

mark296
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Problem with cutting

Post by mark296 »

rayc wrote:Hi. Having watched the tutorials several times and followed the step by step tutorial on importing clipart from the vectric cd into a working model and the tutorial for cutting I have hit a problem.

All the stages went as the tutorial until I came to sending the tool path to the machine.

I got the message " error occured while writing toolpathto file " " d:\vector_art_3d_clipart profile 1 roughing wheel.txt"

" check that the file is not read only" " the file is not open in another application and there is sufficient disc space available"
Any ideas what is going wrong.

On top of this I tried to save the file and got the message " fail to create file code 1"

I have created a model of my own design in Aspire and added an imported 3d model of the dogs head from cut 3d and this worked fine.

Thanks
Rayc
It looks like you are trying to save the toolpath to the DVD rom. Save it to the harddrive.

rayc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rayc »

Thanks for the reply that may be the case when I tried to save the file

I still cannot see why does it not send to the Machine?

Rayc

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

rayc wrote: I still cannot see why does it not send to the Machine?

Rayc
It doesn't work that way. It saves a g-code file, which you then must load into your machines control.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

rayc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rayc »

So it is the same as cut 3d then.

I usually save the file to my documents in cut 3d so I will do the same with Aspire and that should sort it.

Thanks
Rayc

rayc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rayc »

Thanks for the replies.

As usual excellent support and advice top draw forum.

Up and running now excellent program Aspire well done Vectric

RayC

bebbaboo
Model of CNC Machine: Shop built Gatton CNC

Post by bebbaboo »

I am getting the same error, but on only 1 toolpath for my design. All of the other toolpaths saved correctly. I am saving to a thumb drive to take to my CNC computer in my shop. I have rebooted, erased the vector (it is the outside cutout line that is erroring out), recreated the vector, recalculated .. all to no avail. I still get the error. I have attached the error window. There is 7.34 GB free on my thumb drive, I have no idea how anything could have been set to read only, it is not open in another application. Help!
Attachments
Capture.JPG

bebbaboo
Model of CNC Machine: Shop built Gatton CNC

Post by bebbaboo »

I figured it out! Turns out, my vector was OPEN. Once I closed it and recalculated, it saved correctly. Misleading error message!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The open vector would have been nothing at all to do with that error message. It was just a coincidence that whatever was going on with the thumb drive sorted itself out while you were fixing the other issue.