Non flat material setup- can it be done in Aspire?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
johnwebb332
Model of CNC Machine: Millright Mega VXL

Non flat material setup- can it be done in Aspire?

Post by johnwebb332 »

Hello everyone,
I am wanting to know if Aspire will allow you to define a dome shape as your material setup? I like to work with odd shapes of wood and would like to be able to carve on a non flat surface without cutting a bunch of air. Think a half round piece of firewood.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Non flat material setup- can it be done in Aspire?

Post by Adrian »

Depends on exactly what you're trying to do. If you want to v-carve a design or letters into an existing shaped piece of wood then if you can create a model that matches the piece of wood by scanning, probing, virtual machining etc you can do it with no air cutting.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Each piece of firewood would likely be a different shape. Scanning each one to make a 3D model that you can map toolpaths to would be time consuming at best. You could compromise a bit and make a quick close 3D shape that matches the general shape (length/width/taper/height,etc.) of the piece. You are still stuck with only 3 axis cuts to approach, and not all toolpaths map to 3D models.
If your plan is to cut/carve a 3D shape from the 3D model you can't map the 3D cut to a 3D surface. Reducing air time at best would be by skipping the roughing toolpath and letting the finish toolpath deal with reducing the log down to your desired shape.
I generally use a larger endmill to do the roughing pass for quickest reduction before using a smaller ball end bit for the finishing pass. Tapered ball noses are a bit more stout than straight ones and can usually deal with remaining rough cut material as it takes small stepovers and has a cutting edge all the way up the tapered bit sides.
4D

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

johnwebb332 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:52 am
Hello everyone,
... define a dome shape as your material setup?
In a way, yes. For my "Harsh Mistress" project -> viewtopic.php?f=29&t=40675 I wanted the lunar topography to map to the diameter of the moon. That way the short Lunar horizon would be obvious. I did it by creating 2 Components in the Modelling tab. The first was done by creating a circle in the 2D panel with the desired diameter. Then I created a Dome shape in the Modelling tab based on that circle. I moved the Base Height down in Z until I got the spherical section I wanted above the Zero plane. This was by trial and error. Then I created a second Component with the topography, and did a simple Combine - Add operation to meld them. The end result is as you see in the Gallery.

I'm currently finishing a similar second project based on "Land", the single continent in Robert J Sawyer's "Quintaglio Ascension" series. I'll be posting that to the gallery later this week.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

I think that the replies given thus far aren't what the OP was after.

I think that they want to set up the work area to NOT be a plane/cube, but to be a shape of their choosing (ie the log shape he mentions, so half of a tube, split lengthwise, flat side down) so that Aspire doesn't machine the non-existent "shoulders" on the roughing pass.

Other's (including myself) have asked about a similar feature (I can't remember the technical term... adaptive machining, maybe) to reduce the amount of machining time on oddly shaped blanks. Some (very) highend CAM programs apparently have the capability, but it appears to a bridge too far for Aspire (at the moment, anyway).

I suppose if people keep asking, and it's feasible (and cost-effective), Vectric might implement such a capability.

Allan

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

Like in this post?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=38704
Scott T

@scottscnc

johnwebb332

Post by johnwebb332 »

ZipperHead55 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:09 am
I think that the replies given thus far aren't what the OP was after.

I think that they want to set up the work area to NOT be a plane/cube, but to be a shape of their choosing (ie the log shape he mentions, so half of a tube, split lengthwise, flat side down) so that Aspire doesn't machine the non-existent "shoulders" on the roughing pass.

Other's (including myself) have asked about a similar feature (I can't remember the technical term... adaptive machining, maybe) to reduce the amount of machining time on oddly shaped blanks. Some (very) highend CAM programs apparently have the capability, but it appears to a bridge too far for Aspire (at the moment, anyway).

I suppose if people keep asking, and it's feasible (and cost-effective), Vectric might implement such a capability.

Allan
Hi Allan,
You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what I was trying to ask.

I have figured out that if I start out with a block, then create my first model as the actual shape of the workpiece, I can create the first roughing tool path to cut it to the actual shape I want to start with. I then create my "real" roughing tool path to actually start making my cut.

By creating the first roughing cut, essentially fools the system into thinking it has already cut it into that shape.

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

johnwebb332 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:58 pm

Hi Allan,
You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what I was trying to ask.

I have figured out that if I start out with a block, then create my first model as the actual shape of the workpiece, I can create the first roughing tool path to cut it to the actual shape I want to start with. I then create my "real" roughing tool path to actually start making my cut.

By creating the first roughing cut, essentially fools the system into thinking it has already cut it into that shape.
I think I am following what you are saying and will have to try this out. I think I tried it in the past but went about it the wrong way. If I recall the problem I had was that I didn't allow for much tolerance between my 2 roughing passes (the "fake" one and then the real one) and I didn't want to risk damaging a smaller tapered ball nose bit. If I substitute a larger bit (1/4" ball nose, for example), and minor discrepancies (deeper than anticipated cut due to real world conditions) the larger bit will deal with it easily.

Thanks for the idea, and I'll have to try it out when I have time.

Allan

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

John - Can you explain what you mean by your "real" roughing pass? As far as I know, none of the Aspire toolpath types remember what was cut before, so making 2 roughing toolpaths would not result in the second one only cutting what the first didn't cut. Is your "real" path actually a finishing toolpath with a large bit? In that case you don't need the first roughing pass, as the finishing path has no idea what was or wasn't cut before.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Adrian wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:29 am
Depends on exactly what you're trying to do.
johnwebb332 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:58 pm
I have figured out that if I start out with a block, then create my first model as the actual shape of the workpiece...
I think Adrian's question still stands. It may well be that you won't need to model the material and can get by with a rectilinear material block in the software—and a smaller one than the actual material at that.

As dealguy mentioned Roughing toolpaths don't remember any thing. The only 3D toolpath that remotely "remembers" what has been cut is the 3D Finishing toolpath when using "rest" machining.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

On the odd shapes of wood comment there is a work around.

Say you material is L shaped.
Make you material big enough to fit the its shape.
Draw a vector on the material that corresponds to the actual shape of your material.
Position your model within that vector.
Now on Machine Limit Boundary, pick Selected Vector(s).

Doesn't help much with your dome issue, but does on odd shaped materials.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

johnwebb332

Post by johnwebb332 »

dealguy11 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:53 pm
John - Can you explain what you mean by your "real" roughing pass? As far as I know, none of the Aspire toolpath types remember what was cut before, so making 2 roughing toolpaths would not result in the second one only cutting what the first didn't cut. Is your "real" path actually a finishing toolpath with a large bit? In that case you don't need the first roughing pass, as the finishing path has no idea what was or wasn't cut before.
I am currently using VCARVE Pro, I am asking about Aspire in hopes it will provide these abilities and if so would be worth the price.
That said, I was able to create a second roughing path to apply a rough cut my dome shape (cut using the first rough cut virtually) and then a finish cut applying much greater detail.

If the program does not remember what it cut previously, how do you account for not having to remove all the rough cut material in every toolpath with sequencially smaller tools?

I am going to try and prove this out shortly but the day job keeps getting in the way.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

johnwebb332 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:56 pm
If the program does not remember what it cut previously, how do you account for not having to remove all the rough cut material in every toolpath with sequencially smaller tools?
If we are strictly talking about the two 3D machining toolpaths “Rough Machining” and “Finish Machining” then:

Finishing Machining has the ability to specify multiple bits and within the running of that specifically created toolpath each bit “remembers” the material that was removed before it. But, if you create a Finish Machining toolpath with, say, a 1/2” and a 3/8” bit then create a second Finish Machining toolpath with a 1/4” and 1/8” bit then the 2nd toolpath will have no idea that the first toolpath removed any material.

Rough Machining toolpaths only have one bit available. And again if you create two Rough Machining toolpaths netiher of them will know what the previous one did.

What I think might be happening here that is confusing others is that you are creating a Finish Machining toolpath with mutliple tools and calling the first tool or two a “virtual roughing” toolpath. Whereas others hearing the term roughing toolpath are associating it with a Rough Machining toolpath.

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

I have done a couple on a log. Take couple pics of log, the length, width, side view and measure it. Bring it in aspire create a model of it and take a 3D mode and add to it, or add lettering to it.

Tony
244041248_1482992282078348_5875287865538264929_n.jpg
244624005_1482992208745022_361523507178784923_n.jpg
244628976_1482992122078364_5974906654008436314_n.jpg
244632902_1482992072078369_8394687964567890454_n.jpg
244644082_1482992002078376_342865862278685129_n.jpg
244770899_1484393295271580_6566385554955274680_n.jpg
244990078_1484393238604919_8357774657887254863_n.jpg
245057106_1484393261938250_6486435360809284234_n.jpg
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

A few more pics on a log.
91279538_1082167175494196_2821162483991969792_n.jpg
94219918_1099302790447301_7322605625463013376_n.jpg
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave