help with LED sign

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ronnierozier2
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Avid PRO4896

help with LED sign

Post by ronnierozier2 »

hello all,

im looking to make a sign like the one ive attached to this topic but I need your help. The LED rope lights im using are .25" wide but im having trouble with the font. does anyone know how to make a font exactly .25" wide so when i cut my channel in the Lexan all the letters are exactly .25" wide? or could someone recommend a font like the one in the picture? My second problem is finding a font that looks good.

Firstly I would like to know how to make a text exactly .25" wide so I can cut a pocket from the font and stuff the LED lights into the pocket.

any advice appreciated as this is my first try at this.
Attachments
neon sign example.jpg

Beltramidave
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FLA Saturn 4x4 / 7W & 60W lasers

Re: help with LED sign

Post by Beltramidave »

Simplest method might be to use a single line font and then do a profile 'on' toolpath using a .25" endmill.
Dave
https://lakesedgewoodcraft.com/

ronnierozier2
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ronnierozier2 »

Good idea thanks! I’ll try that

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

I’m not at all sure the sample is made from “rope” LEDs. How will you get that continuous “glow” and not see individual LED bright spots?

There is an LED product that puts the LEDs on end which lets the edge of the assembly “glow”. This allows it to traverse tighter bends which script fonts have.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

ronnierozier2
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ronnierozier2 »

Tex_Lawrence wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:08 pm
I’m not at all sure the sample is made from “rope” LEDs. How will you get that continuous “glow” and not see individual LED bright spots?

There is an LED product that puts the LEDs on end which lets the edge of the assembly “glow”. This allows it to traverse tighter bends which script fonts have.
I’ve got about 10 led rope lights and it’s just cheap led lights and the rubber stuff they are enclosed in is a diffuser. Mine actually look like the picture. One continuous glow. It’s pretty neat how they work

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

I’ll be glad to see the finished product. Will you supply some kind of link to the LED rope you’re using?

How will you hold the LEFs in the pocket, and how deep will you cut that pocket? Will you polish the bottom of the pocket to let as much light through as you can?

ronnierozier2
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ronnierozier2 »

Tex_Lawrence wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:57 pm
I’ll be glad to see the finished product. Will you supply some kind of link to the LED rope you’re using?

How will you hold the LEFs in the pocket, and how deep will you cut that pocket? Will you polish the bottom of the pocket to let as much light through as you can?
im using LED's like these:
https://www.amazon.com/NEONLG-14400lm-C ... =8-24&th=1

the problem with these particulat LED's is the cut marks are at .98" and that is to wide of a gap the LED's dont fall within the boundries of the lettering so I had to order some different LED's that have a cut mark every .38" The cut marks every .98" is my problem thus far. I have the other LED's on order from amazon with .38" cut marks. the diffuser does a great job because you really cant see where the individual LED's are shining through the diffuser.

today im going to use a single letter font like suggested above and use a 1/4" bit to make my pocket. the lights are exactly 1/4" wide and .65" tall.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Unfortunately, the link to LEDs didn't show up here.