Vcarve Depth of Cut

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Popa
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 4XXL

Vcarve Depth of Cut

Post by Popa »

Hello all,

I am attempting to create a sign using Aspire. I am using a 12'x12'x.75" piece of plywood. I will be cutting with a 60' V bit. When I click on the Vcarve function and set up all my tool paths, I get a warning saying I will cut through the material. I have gone through all of the files and cannot find a way to limit the depth of cut of a V bit. I changed the diameter from .25" to .50" and it still says the same thing. Apparently my material is .75" thick and the bit will cut to .795". Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Jeff

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Vcarve Depth of Cut

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Jeff,

In the VCarve Toolpath settings, you will see a Flat Depth option. You can enter a value that limits the depth of your VCarve so it won’t Pierce through your board thickness.

I suggest a value no greater than 0.375” (which is half the thickness of your material). You can specify a lower amount (say, 0.25” or whatever looks good to you when you recalculate and run a Toolpath Preview).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

If you can post your CRV3D file that will allow us to review the actual file to give you the best guidance. (However, do not upload the file if it contains copyrighted models.)

Here is a link to the FAQ describing how to upload your file. (How do I upload files or photos to the forum?)

If the file is too large to upload here you can use a file sharing site such as drive.google.com, onedrive.com, or dropbox.com. They all have free accounts available
  • Upload the file to the file sharing site
  • Make the link shareable
  • Share the link to the file here
For screenshots please use the Windows Snipping tool. These are far easier to read than photos taken with your phone.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I'll quote myself from another thread on basically this same question:
adze_cnc wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:03 am
There's basically only two ways when using a "V-Carve / Engraving Toolpath" to prevent cutting all the way through:
  1. use a bit with a larger angle than the one that it is "cutting all the way through" (e.g. if 60 deg is cutting through try 90, 120, 135, etc)
  2. use a flat depth to limit how deep the bit goes
See the help file here.