formatting for fine line printing

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
endgrainguy
Vectric Apprentice

formatting for fine line printing

Post by endgrainguy »

This is a question about printing a vector file rather than machining one. I'm looking to make quadrant angle scales for cross cut sleds, and the pdf I prepare from a .ai file actually consists of small slanted segments rather than curves when I go to print. Is there a different format I should
slightly smaller left of blade 6-6.ai
(88.83 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
be using to get a commercial printer to print fine line straight lines and fine line curves rather than a series of hash marks? Or can I edit the file in some other software --I'm using a very old version of Photoshop for this. My local printer was out of his league on this question.
I thought this was supposed to make life easier?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: formatting for fine line printing

Post by Adrian »

Not sure what the issue is as it looks fine to me but all the marks are defined as line spans rather than bezier curves. Converting them to curves won't change their shape it will just change the type of span they are.

Some of the curved ends are short line segments rather than curves which might be what you're referring to.

Either way the tool to use to convert en-masse is the Curve Fit to Vectors tool.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

For printing any print shop worth its salt should have Illustrator and the like so why not use the .AI file?

It needs some cleaning up and perhaps some basic alterations. For example:

1 needs join 0 needs make compound.gif

The “1” and (2, 3, etc.) need to be joined closed. Notice the way the stroke ends interact at the bottom right of the “1"? That should be a smooth corner like the bottom left of the “1”.

The ”0" (and 4, 6, 8, 9) needs to be converted to a compound path. This wil allow what follows to work.

Each degree and half-degree marks have a 1 point stroke. I’ve made the half-degrees 0.5pt. Each of the numbers can have a stroke set to 0pt (no stroke) and then given a fill. If we did’t make the “0” a compound path then we’d have a black ellipse. A Compound path lets the hole show through.

no stroke yes fills minor line half point.gif

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As adze_cnc has already said any decent print company (or signmaker) shouldn't have a problem with either your ai or pdf file as long as you have prepared them correctly, if you haven't then they will still be able to import or open them but may have some work to do before they can print them to give an acceptable end result. Either way it shouldn't be a problem for them :lol: :lol: :lol:

endgrainguy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by endgrainguy »

Thanks for these replies. The sample I had printed had all the lines printed as tiny hatch segments rather than actual lines. The problem is more with the angle lines than the quadrant lines containing them, and these are straight lines. It looked good at a glance, but didn't have near the fine line accuracy I'd like. The printer had no idea what to do about it. Sounds like I should find a more knowledgeable print shop, and let them work with me with the .ai file.
I thought this was supposed to make life easier?