Offset on flat slab

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Stephen50
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop

Offset on flat slab

Post by Stephen50 »

I use a Shopbot Desktop CNC utilizing Aspire 10.5. The dimensions of the slab follows. 13 inches wide with a tapered live edge of 2 inches on both sides width of the working area is 9 inches. I plan on using a 2 inch offset to take into account the live edge. Am I going in the correct direction or is there another way to plan for the 2 inches of live edge. Any assistance is appreciated.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Offset on flat slab

Post by Adrian »

Personally I would define the job as 13 x 9 and set the xy zero at the corner of that on the machine and not bother about offsets.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

From the sounds of it (and I had to read it out loud a few times) this slab measures 13 inches wide (what Aspire calls height) at one end and 9 inches at the other. You don't say how long (what Aspire calls width) it is—let's call that n.

So if it were me I would create a job having Width (x) = n and Height (y) = 13

Of course much depends on what you are going to do with the slab. If you were going to put some 4 inch diameter 3D medallion somewhere along its length I'd set job size to 4.5 x 4.5 (to give me some extra space for a ball end bit to fit into) with the XY Datum Position in the centre. Then I'd set my XY zero on the machine at the point on the slab that I wanted the medallion.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

I'll take a stab at this. My first reading I thought you were asking about doing a flycut which doesn't need an offset. After reading the other 2 posts and finishing my 2nd cut of coffee I figured you are wanting to do a carve within the 9" x Y(height?) area. The slab is 13" wide but the 2" taper on each side reduces the available work area to 9" wide (13"-2"-2"=9"). I would define my project as 9(x) X ?(Y), use either a corner or center datum.

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

This post my provide some idea/information.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=35820
Scott T

@scottscnc