Write me a program?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Zebratruck
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy

Write me a program?

Post by Zebratruck »

Sorry if this isn't the right spot for this but, anyone on here willing to write a program for me? Probably in Aspire as I want a 3D rendition of my Land Rover from a pic I send you. Maybe some words above and below it? I have a ShopBot Buddy and run VCarve Pro on it.
zebratruck@gmail.com for contact, thanks!

Scott

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Re: Write me a program?

Post by ZipperHead55 »

I see that you're new here, so I will correct you on your terminology (to allow for more people to assist you).

What you are after is a 3D file (a stereolithograph (STL format) usually) of your Land Rover, created from a photograph. That is a separate operation, and is more artistic than technical.

After you have the 3D file in your possession, you would still require the requisite toolpaths, in this case usually (at a minimum) a Roughing Toolpath (also referred to as "hogging out" the extra wood) and then at least one Finishing Toolpath, which uses a finer (smaller) bit. Generally, people use a 1/4" end mill (EM) for the roughing toolpath, and then use taper ball nosed (TBN) bits to do the finishing toolpath(s). What bits you use depend on a number of factors, since a large 24" x 24" piece could use different bits than if the project was 2" x 2".

I like to think of the toolpaths like mowing your lawn: you use a large lawn mower (ride-on or tractor) to do the bulk of the work, and then use smaller implements (push lawn mower and/or weed-whacker) to finish up the work. You COULD use a weed whacker (fine TBN bit) to do a large field, but it would take forever. Conversely, if you only use the large lawn mower (large end-mill), you will have lots of rough areas left over. You need to use the correct tools (and strategies) to accomplish the task efficiently.

Paying someone to come up with these toolpaths (based on your STL 3D model) isn't an effective strategy (in the long run), since they would need to know ALL the parameters of your particular circumstances: your machine and project specs (rigidity; spindle "power"; materials (soft woods; hard woods; synthetic substrates (Corian; Plexiglass); non-ferrous metals; etc). If the person who creates your toolpaths (or the "program" you initially asked for) creates them for an industrial machine, and you have a hobbyist machine, you will get poor results (and damaged equipment and material). And conversely, if they have a hobbyist machine, and you have a high-end machine, it will take you far too long to machine the project, wasting all kinds of time and money.

My advice: start with the Vectric tutorials (starting with the absolute basics) and go from there. They are free, and self-contained: you get the files you need to create what the tutorial focuses on, as well as the ability to follow along, and if you ruin something, the files they include show how it's supposed to turn out.

To go from "zero to hero" on your first project is destined for failure, much like expecting a beginner artist to paint the Sistine Chapel before they can draw a stick figure or bowl of fruit.

Also, the "teach a man to fish...." metaphor applies here, since the skills required to achieve what you want to do are attainable, and once you can do that, you can do anything, with enough experience and assistance (tutorials, forum, FB groups, etc) but you will need to know the basics.

Allan

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

Also, you posted this in the Aspire section, and you indicated that you have V-Carve Pro. Aspire is the flagship (and much more expensive/powerful) software, and some of the advice you get wouldn't translate over to V-Carve Pro (VCP). Aspire allows you to do far more 3D work (multiple STL files, whereas VCP only allows for one (there are workarounds, but that is another issue). Also, VCP can't open native Aspire files (.CRV3D), only .CRV files, so if someone created all the toolpaths you needed in Aspire, you wouldn't be able to open them in VCP. You can save a .CRV from Aspire, but it strips out all of the data that isn't compatible with VCP (multiple 3D models, etc).

It IS a lot to learn, so that's why 99.9% of people will recommend following the tutorials, whether from Vectric, or 3rd party (Mark Lindsay has a lot of good ones). Learning the basics (v-carving text or graphics; creating pocket toolpaths; creating profile toolpaths; importing vectors (.AI (Adobe Illustrator); SVG; EPS; DXF); importing raster (JPG, PNG, BMP) images to trace or use as reference images; and importing 3D files) will be beneficial, so you aren't reliant on someone else.

Allan

Zebratruck

Post by Zebratruck »

Ah, gotcha. Thank you for the explanation on all of that :) I'll look into it further on my end.

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Replies like this one by Zipperhead are what makes this forum great. Wonderful of you to take the time to educate Zebratruck.
Welcome to the forum, Zebratruck and good luck with your projects. Be sure to spend time viewing the excellent tutorials provided by Vectric.

Phil

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Is your Land Rover very different from any other Landrover ?
If it isn't then you may be able to find an STL file of a landrover that already exists that is either free or something you could buy off the shelf.
Try a search for Land rover stl model & see what comes up. :lol: :lol:

It might be that this is a project that you park for a while until you have at least learnt the Basics of the software & your CNC machine. There is a lot of help & tutorials to get you going as has already been said.

Zebratruck

Post by Zebratruck »

It doesn’t have to be exact, just a short wheelbase defender type. That’s a good idea, thanks :)

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Zebratruck wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:42 pm
Probably in Aspire as I want a 3D rendition of my Land Rover from a pic I send you. Maybe some words above and below it?
You may or may not want an STL file. It’s possible for a person modelling in Aspire (I know that you have VCarve) to never once use an STL file yet still produce 3D projects. STL files are ones either created elsewhere in “other software” and brought in to Cut3D / VCarve / Aspire or exported from VCarve / Aspire for other applications (such as 3D printing).

To better provide guidance for what you want done it would be nice to know what you would do with the “3D rendition”. I have a suggestion that will help you find a visual indication of what you are looking to do. You can look at posts in the Aspire Gallery or VCarve Gallery to find a similar project.

Find a post (or maybe more) you like and copy the location from your browser’s address bar then post it here. When creating a message one of the icons above the box where you enter text is for links. It looks like a two-link chain and is between the mountain & sun icon and the teardrop-shaped icon. Here’s an example link: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39561

When creating the link in the last paragraph the link button produced the URL tags and I just pasted the actual link between them. The second URL link below is the one I used for the Aspire Gallery link above if you want to get fancy:

Code: Select all

[url]https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39561[/url]

[url=https://forum.vectric.com/viewforum.php?f=29]Aspire Gallery[/url]
When at the galleries areas you can increase the number of post images available by clicking on the drop down list that has a down-pointing arraow and three increasing-length lines next to the “New Topic” button (below the last line of images). The you can change “Display” value from 1 day to forever.

Zebratruck

Post by Zebratruck »

I know the machine will cut the 3D (or contoured) files, I downloaded some of the design & make files and have cut something like a mouse or a cabin with trees and used a 1/8 ball end to rough and a 1/16 ball end to make a finishing pass.

I’ll look into what you suggested when I get back to work and the laptop that goes with my ShopBot. Thanks everyone for the good feedback.

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

Zebratruck

Post by Zebratruck »

Thanks Tony!

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Long Mill

Post by wilkigr »

I am a newbie, like you, but an obvious question is what do you want the final product to be? Those links that you posted offer up completely different products. The first is simply a 2D cut out of parts of the model that you would cut out and then glue together to form a model truck. The second is a site where you can find stl files, really directed to 3D printing.

You did mention that you wanted words , so I'm thinking that this is to be a plaque or something similar.

I believe knowing this will allow the experts here to help you out.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Scott,

Are you looking for something like this.

I know this is crude as I don't really have time, and my skill level is only marginal.
land rover.jpg
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Long Mill

Post by wilkigr »

Off topic, but if your skill level is "only marginal", Leo, I may as well quit now. :D

Zebratruck

Post by Zebratruck »

Leo wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 3:00 pm
Scott,

Are you looking for something like this.

I know this is crude as I don't really have time, and my skill level is only marginal.

land rover.jpg

Very close, good enough. I just wanted something to hang in the garage or sit on the bonnet at a car show.