Large File Import (DXF)

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Electwoodworks
Model of CNC Machine: Avid 4896 pro

Large File Import (DXF)

Post by Electwoodworks »

If already asked, I apologize. I tried a search, but couldn't find what I need to learn.
I used the "Halftone" program from Jason Dorie to get a photo laid out as I wanted.
Tryin to import to Aspire, and it's been 28 minutes.
Any ideas ?
Thank you.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Large File Import (DXF)

Post by Adrian »

I used to use that program a lot and never had an issue like that. I just did a test to see if anything has changed with the latest versions of both programs and it loaded the DXF in seconds.

What size is the image? What settings? Are you importing or opening directly? Is the job the same unit size as the DXF?

Electwoodworks

Post by Electwoodworks »

Adrian wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:22 pm
I used to use that program a lot and never had an issue like that. I just did a test to see if anything has changed with the latest versions of both programs and it loaded the DXF in seconds.

What size is the image? What settings? Are you importing or opening directly? Is the job the same unit size as the DXF?
Thank you so much for helping!
File size is 52.4MB (I am trying to make a photo carve of a friend's daughter's senior picture into 1/8" plastic).
the job size I set up in Aspire 12"x12", and the picture is about 11.5 x 8 or so

Electwoodworks

Post by Electwoodworks »

Adrian wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:22 pm

I am sorry I didn't answer all the questions:
What size is the image? 54.8MB
What settings?
Are you importing or opening directly? trying to import (I didn't know we can open directly into Aspire?)
Is the job the same unit size as the DXF - 12"x12" job, 11.5" x 8" or so photo

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I'm assuming you're using something other than the dots settings as the file should be around 800 to 900kb if you were.

Typically with that program you would use the dots setting and then create a v-carve toolpath to machine the dots with a v-bit.

With the line setting you may as well use the inbuilt photovcarve toolpath as that will do essentially the same job.

I don't know how the square or circle option would work as a toolpath as I've never tried that option and they do seem to create huge files that Aspire struggles with.

Aspire does have a HalfToner gadget that you can use directly from with Aspire without the need of a 3rd party program - https://gadgets.vectric.com/V11/halftoner

Electwoodworks

Post by Electwoodworks »

Adrian wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:18 pm
I'm assuming you're using something other than the dots settings as the file should be around 800 to 900kb if you were.

Typically with that program you would use the dots setting and then create a v-carve toolpath to machine the dots with a v-bit.

With the line setting you may as well use the inbuilt photovcarve toolpath as that will do essentially the same job.

I don't know how the square or circle option would work as a toolpath as I've never tried that option and they do seem to create huge files that Aspire struggles with.

Aspire does have a HalfToner gadget that you can use directly from with Aspire without the need of a 3rd party program - https://gadgets.vectric.com/V11/halftoner
I was just using the dots selection in the Halftoner program.
I've downloaded and used the gadet, just can't get the picture to look like I'd like so I'm trying all the ideas I can think of. Currently cycling with Stipplegen2 hoping I can make it work.

Electwoodworks

Post by Electwoodworks »

Electwoodworks wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:22 pm
Adrian wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:18 pm

I was just using the dots selection in the Halftoner program.
I've downloaded and used the gadet, just can't get the picture to look like I'd like so I'm trying all the ideas I can think of. Currently cycling with Stipplegen2 hoping I can make it work.
I can't post photos of the settings because of a multi computer set up, but the settings I've got in Halftoner V1.7 are:
(Adjust menu)
Brightness is -14
Contrast is 4

(Generator Menu)
Lock aspect ratio is checked
Width: 7.812
Height: 11.500
Border: 0.00
Spacing: 0.0110
Minimum Size: .0050
Max Size: .0210
Angle: 25.0
Wavelength: 0.010
Amplitude: 0.040

I don't have any of the four boxes checked (offset / dark boost / invert / fixed sizes)

Preview says that the picture is 1250 rows, 9116 lines, 665340 pts)

**Edit - Adding comment:
I just saved the file (in halftoner program) again, and it looks to be about 6.5MB now.
Opened a new job in Aspire and went to Import DX file
Immediately shows "Not Responding"
Note: I uninstalled and reinstalled Photo V Carve as well as Aspire last night

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Your spacing and max size are way too small. Try spacing of about 0.1 and max size of 0.15. You'll have to experiment a bit but these pictures are meant to be viewed from a distance. If you're trying to get it so that it looks like a photo from a few inches away you won't be able to toolpath. Aspire will never handle a v-carve toolpath with that many dots.

If you want to get as close to a photo look as possible you may be better off experimenting with the photovcarve toolpath.

Electwoodworks

Post by Electwoodworks »

Adrian wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:37 pm
Your spacing and max size are way too small. Try spacing of about 0.1 and max size of 0.15. You'll have to experiment a bit but these pictures are meant to be viewed from a distance. If you're trying to get it so that it looks like a photo from a few inches away you won't be able to toolpath. Aspire will never handle a v-carve toolpath with that many dots.

If you want to get as close to a photo look as possible you may be better off experimenting with the photovcarve toolpath.
Thanks a bunch - I will update once I finish the project for anyone that may be having similar issues.
Thank you so much again for your help!

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I did a similar project that had 3600 holes and the run time was close to an hour. 645,000 dots would take about 177 hours with same settings and machine...

About 40 minutes of that job was just raising and lowering the tool...