Help with .Tap files

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Old Gaffer
Model of CNC Machine: Cam Tech Routermaster Z7

Help with .Tap files

Post by Old Gaffer »

I just finished spending several hours setting up a new projects. Completed all tool paths and saved. Next day came back into Aspire to transfer all to my machine. All I can find are the .Tap files. The crv3d file is there but there are no tool path files in it. My question is if there is any way to put these .tap files back in? Otherwise I start all over again. Hopefully this makes sense to someone. Thanks

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Help with .Tap files

Post by TReischl »

There are no "files" in a crv3d file. I know, that sounds weird, but it is the case. What SHOULD be there are the toolpaths that you created. Providing you actually saved the file. Did you?

You cannot put .tap files into Aspire, those are the output files.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Save Early Save Often
As you are working on your project it is a good idea to save your work as you go. Vectric gives you several choices:
<Ctrl S> or File/Save - This saves your work over the last saved version of the file. Teach yourself to type <Ctrl S> whenever you have made a major change and are satisfied with the results. I've trained myself to hit <Ctrl S> whenever I stop to think for a bit. If you are not sure of your changes then use the File ⇒ Save As... command instead option and give the file a new name.

<Ctrl Alt S> or File/Increment and Save - This is cooler and easier than File/Save As. The Increment and save operation allows you to automatically number iterations of files you are working on. If you select this operation when editing a file which ends with an underscore, or a hyphen followed by a number, then the number will be increased by 1 and the file will be saved using this number.

For example, MyFile_1.crv3d becomes MyFile_2.crv3d
The increment and save option will keep incrementing until it finds a file that does not currently exist. It will not overwrite an existing file.

Later, if you wish, you can go back and delete the older versions.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

mickecarlsson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC 6040, Vectric Aspire, UCCNC

Post by mickecarlsson »

One thing that hit me yesterday was that I had accidentally opened two Aspire, one that I was working on and one that was in the background. Both had the same file opened. I created a lot of toolpaths in the Aspire I was working on and saved. I then closed Aspire to shutdown the machine, I then noticed that I had Aspire open, closed that one, it warned me that I had not saved so I saved the file,
And all my toolpaths was lost :x

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Yup. That'll do it.

As much as Microsoft Excel irritates me with its warnings that a spreadsheet is open elsewhere and do I want to open this instance in "Read Only" mode or do I want to wait for the other program to be shut down—that has saved me from similar problems.

Steven

pappybaynes
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger

Post by pappybaynes »

mickecarlsson wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:00 am
One thing that hit me yesterday was that I had accidentally opened two Aspire, one that I was working on and one that was in the background. Both had the same file opened. I created a lot of toolpaths in the Aspire I was working on and saved. I then closed Aspire to shutdown the machine, I then noticed that I had Aspire open, closed that one, it warned me that I had not saved so I saved the file,
And all my toolpaths was lost :x
If both files had the same name, and you closed the second one without toolpaths it would overwrite the first one you closed.

mickecarlsson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC 6040, Vectric Aspire, UCCNC

Post by mickecarlsson »

Yes, I was fully aware of that :D
As soon as I hit save I did know that it was a mistake.