lead out straight line blackout of a cut

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
dhagen1999
Model of CNC Machine: nextwave shark

lead out straight line blackout of a cut

Post by dhagen1999 »

I am trying to cut a dado with tapered edges which I am using a 1/2” 14 degree dovetail bit. I want it to cut 6 inches in the X direction at .125’ deep then back out the same 6 inches then return to the home position. I am using the profile toolpath. I drew a line 6 inches long and select the “ON” the line option. I turned on the lead options selected lead out 6 inches. I assumed the lead out 6 inches would instruct the bit when done with the cut it would lead out from the end point 6 inches.

Aspire seems to ignore the lead out command all together and just exits the where the cut ended.

I checked the g-code and verified that is what it did. I ended up having the creating two lines .002 inches apart and joined them so the bit basically follows a U shaped path .002 inches a part. Though this does not seem like much it is still making a dado .002” wider then I want.

Is my understanding on how the “lead out” command in correct? It seems to me even if it did not go back it should have gone somewhere in response to the lead out request. It seem to totally ignore the lead out. Any help on the would be appreciated…

Does “lead out” option not support open ended line?

Also, it would be nice sometime for Aspire to support under-cut profile bits like dovetail bits.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: lead out straight line blackout of a cut

Post by Adrian »

To get a bit to enter and exit at the same point you need to double the vector back on itself. Start the vector where you want the entry/exit to be, move over to the end of the cut, click there and then move back to the entry/exit point and click again. Exit the polyline tool.

Now a profile toolpath will exit and enter at the same point with no leads. As you've found leads don't work the way you think they do.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

This is a logic thing. If a cutter is cutting ON a line, it is not possible to determine which direction it should "lead out". "Lead out" means to move away from the cut line, which way should it go? Straight ahead, left, right, backwards?
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Could the keyhole gadget be of use here?