Holiday Ornament

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AxiomAR6Pro

Holiday Ornament

Post by JoeBlow »

With the Holidays right around the corner I'm sure most of us are busy making gifts amongst other things. I put this together from Vectric clip-art a few years ago and thought I would share it for others that might like it. A nice 2-sided job that is very easy to personalize to fit your needs. Everyone I have made one for absolutely loves it and I am now remembered when they decorate for the Holidays.

Here's a few I've made followed by the crv3d file.

IMG_8329.JPG
IMG_8333.JPG

Made for my employer last year. Got a whole lot of brownie points for this one :D
IMG_9904.JPG
IMG_9905.JPG
HolidayOrnament.crv3d
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 106 times
No toolpaths or register method for 2-sided machining are included in the file as what I prefer may not be what you prefer.

Hope some of you find it useful.
Patrick

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Re: Holiday Ornament

Post by Holzarbeiter »

I remember your original post of these beautiful ornaments. How generous of you to share the file.
Why, you even thought of your Vectric forum friends for Christmas! Thank you very much!
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Post by TomWS »

Great job, Joe! But... how did you get the two different wood levels carved and assembled? They look beautiful!

Unless... You made the blank with a raw insert of the contrasting wood and carved around it. Hmmmm, that might work if you control the depth accurately.

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

I love these ! Thank You for sharing the file !
Scott T

@scottscnc

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard

Post by Holzarbeiter »

TomWS wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:53 am
Great job, Joe! But... how did you get the two different wood levels carved and assembled? They look beautiful!

Unless... You made the blank with a raw insert of the contrasting wood and carved around it. Hmmmm, that might work if you control the depth accurately.
Just a wild guess on my part but Im thinking the bear & Santa Claus were separate 3d carves that were glued into the ornament.
But, I have been wrong before...just ask my lovely wife! :)
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

Daniel S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger SR-23

Post by Daniel S »

Thanks for the files Joe. Very nice work.. I will be trying them out for sure.

Dan

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Daniel S wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:45 am
Thanks for the files Joe. Very nice work.. I will be trying them out for sure.

Dan
Ditto from me also.
Steve

JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AxiomAR6Pro

Post by JoeBlow »

Thank you for the kind comments. I'm really happy this file will get some use from others and hopefully spread some extra cheer around this Holiday season.

TomWS wrote:

Yep, you guessed correctly. (Sorry Holzarbeiter. Your wife is right again :D ) The 1st step I did was cut a round pocket into the blank to a depth of .2944". If you hover over the model in the 3d view it will show this being the depth of the flat region in the model. For Santa, that round pocket was 2.5" in diameter. The insert was then cut with an Allowance Offset of -.005 and glued in. The rest was a standard 3d Roughing toolpath followed by the 3d Finishing toolpath. I used a .25BN for roughing and a .125TBN for finishing. One could always set Z-0 a smidge higher and cheat your way down accordingly if need be. I frequently do this myself.

I really like this base model as it so easy to add to. Here's one I've been working on for awhile. This is the 2nd "hard edit". Still not quite pleased with it. Copper texture is not quite right and the Dard Hunter rose just doesn't cut it for me yet.

IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG
Patrick

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard

Post by Holzarbeiter »

JoeBlow wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:01 pm
Thank you for the kind comments. I'm really happy this file will get some use from others and hopefully spread some extra cheer around this Holiday season.

TomWS wrote:

Yep, you guessed correctly. (Sorry Holzarbeiter. Your wife is right again :D )
Dangit….dont tell my wife! :D
Thanks for the details on your process. Im anxious to try one of these ornaments.
Joe