Changing Aspire from Microsoft to Apple

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Spartacus
Model of CNC Machine: Exel SL6090Pro

Changing Aspire from Microsoft to Apple

Post by Spartacus »

Hi I have previously used my Vectric Aspire on a windows laptop and want to download on to my MacBook Pro. Has anybody had any problems migrating from windows to Apple or could offer some advice before I take the plunge.

Thanks in advance

Neil

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Changing Aspire from Microsoft to Apple

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Vectric products currently do not run natively under the Mac OS. You will need to run Vectric products on a Windows VM (Parallels, VMware, etc.) on your Mac. It works fine with Intel processors, but there may still be issues getting it to run on the M1 chipset.

I used VWware on Mac for about 10 years. Two years ago I set up another Windows system and now use Microsoft Remote Desktop to connect from the Mac to the Windows system.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Some one posted a similar question to this today: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38682

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Native operation on MacOS isn't going to happen unless Vectric "sees the light" at some point...it's not like many of us haven't asked for it! You can, however, run Vectric software virtualized on Windows (or in Bootcamp Windows) on an Intel based Mac no problem. That's what I've been doing since I bought my CNC machine in 2018. Aspire is honestly the only Windows based application I use. My environment is MacOS, Parallels and Windows. "Rodent" action can be touchy in this environment, but I've gotten used to it. I do all my drawing and toolpathing on my Mac in my office (dual 27" monitors) and then transfer the files to the Windows machine in the shop that controls my CNC machine. Tweaks are done on the Windows box.

richard.c
Model of CNC Machine: modified cncest6040

Post by richard.c »

Spartacus wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:46 pm
Hi I have previously used my Vectric Aspire on a windows laptop and want to download on to my MacBook Pro. Has anybody had any problems migrating from windows to Apple or could offer some advice before I take the plunge.

Thanks in advance

Neil
it runs on parallels fine i have it loaded on my imac late 2013 runing windows 7 and it runs with no problems im using aspire v11 hope this helps.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Something important that's related to this conversation is that our ability to use Vectric software virtualized on MacOS in the future may not be supported if we migrate to the new Apple silicon powered Macs. Microsoft is, to-date, not amicable to the ARM version of Win11 being able to run on Apple platforms, and that puts a hard stop on what many of us do currently with Intel based Macs. So keep that in mind if you have upgrade plans...if so, grab an Intel based Mac "now" while they are still available.