Roughing toolpath

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Roughing toolpath

Post by martin54 »

If you ran a 6 hour finish toolpath without any problems then I doubt your roughing toolpath was due to a power setting. Could the file be corrupt in some way? Not a tech guru so just guessing :lol: :lol:

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

Martin's observation regarding the fact that you successfully ran a 6 hour tool path makes sense from the standpoint that it is not likely an issue with power settings or other Windows priority settings for that matter. I am wondering though, your control/drive system doesn't happen to be a servo by any chance? If so, it is possible that pushing the limits of the capability of the drive could cause the system to lose its position. A servo feedback loop would pick up on that and shut the system down, usually indicating a following error or something to that affect. Otherwise, I am just as at a loss as you are.

Ed

Clockman
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made/Linear rails/1605 Screw-drive

Post by Clockman »

Thanks, GEdward
Yes I agree with you and Martin, it is not a Windows problem, and no I do not have a servo, I think it is strange that on the roughing toolpath it stopped in a similar part of the carve on 3 different occasions, at the end of a line going from right-left, just as it was about to reverse direction it stopped dead, not in the exact same spot but in a similar position, always at the end of a line on the carve, it sounded different going from left to right, like it was trying to cut too deep, but it was only cutting about 1/8 inch or less, it was cutting across the grain on Beech and the bit was sharp, I used the same bit to cut out the profile and that was fine,

Clockman
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made/Linear rails/1605 Screw-drive

Post by Clockman »

Update,
I am running another carve at the moment in Pine, and about the same size, started again from scratch, the roughing toolpath has just finished without any problems and I am now running the finishing toolpath, I did use a new 1/4 inch endmill, but I don't think there was anything with the previous one, I am just trying to figure out what the problem was, I suppose I will never know, sometimes strange things happen on my machine, maybe a Poltergeist?