profiling a large ogee around curved returns

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
2C3D4U
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Flexicam Stealth

profiling a large ogee around curved returns

Post by 2C3D4U »

Hello, is it possible to mill 3 axes mill a large ogee (4" high when installed) with curved returns using Aspire tools? I want a window apron sitting under a stool, where the apron's thickest point is about 1.5". The layout is tricky because you have tool height constraints, apparently requiring the milling to be done flat, rather than vertically. Am I correctly thinking?

In this case, the apron stock is 77-1/2" wide and 4 " H, 1-1/2" deep when oriented for installation. The return radius would be about an inch.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: profiling a large ogee around curved returns

Post by dealguy11 »

I kind of think I know what you're wanting to do, and think it's probably possible, but not completely clear to me. Could you make a quick sketch of what you're trying to do?

In the past when I've made large curved crown moldings 4" thick, we hogged out the material on the carved side partly with a bandsaw, then used a standard clearance setting on the moulding toolpath with a longish 1/2" end mill to finish hogging it out. You can usually then run a regular moulding toolpath with a long tapered ballnose. The straight section on the back we cut partway through with a large endmill, then bandsawed the rest of it away and used a straight bit with a bearing in a regular router to cut away the rest of the waste.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

2C3D4U
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Flexicam Stealth

Post by 2C3D4U »

How do you go about making use of 2 rail sweeps to model a tall molding profile vertically? For example, if I draw the profile of a cyma recta ogee (ogee with a step included), with the intention of affixing this to a wall (think vertically tall crown molding), how are the rails set up to have the sweep depict this, rather than sweeping between my selected rails as though the profile is being cut in the horizontal plane?
In a vector based package like AlphaCAM, this is easily done. I draw my material profile in 2D plan view, draw the desired mould profile,
choose toolpath direction, choose mould profile and an appropriate profile reference point, then click on the material profile......and bingo.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I am unclear as to what you are trying to do but I can make some guesses.

If you have anything that in any way resembles a groove in a vertical surface, no, you cannot do that.
Of course there might be someone here with some really creative ideas that I don't have, but generally no.

There are really good professionally made Aspire tutorials available on 2 rail sweep as well as more tutorials on creating 3D models.

As was posted already - a sketch, or picture of what you are trying is worth a thousand words.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

2C3D4U wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:56 pm
How do you go about making use of 2 rail sweeps to model a tall molding profile vertically?
I replied to the same question on the other thread - viewtopic.php?p=280279#p280279

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

As Adrian said at the end of this post on the same subject: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=38474&p=280285#p280285 "extrude" might be the way to go.

For me, though, I'd say why not use the moulding toolpath? After all this is the sort of thing it was designed to handle—including handling the flat sections which a 3D Finishing toolpath (which is what you'd need with a two-rail sweep or extruded component) would need further processing to get the flats done properly. (Sorry for the run-on sentence.)

As for how an other software package models things—yes, it may do things differently. That's why we have the Help menu and tutorial videos at our disposal to learn how this software works.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Again, a quick pencil drawing of what you're trying to do would be helpful. I agree with Adze that you should look at the moulding toolpath as a possibility. It will give you a better finish than the 3d finishing toolpath for this kind of work, and may also be faster.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AxiomAR6Pro

Post by JoeBlow »

I believe he is looking to have the returns on a window apron to be a radius on the outside corner as opposed to the traditional mitered returns. Something like this...
Apron.jpg
Excuse my lame vectors as it was a quick and dirty :D

I used the moulding toolpath to model. I actually think its doable if you have the Z height and a long enough ballnose bit.

I played around with 2 rail sweeping so the piece could be cut flat but haven't got it yet. I def believe it can be modeled in this fashion.

It's a very nice elegant way to return those aprons if you can model it and have the cnc to cut it.
Patrick

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JoeBlow »

Forgot to attach the file. Nothing too exciting but shows what I think he is up against.
Ogee.crv3d
(404 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
The stool is the window sill and an apron is the piece of trim underneath the window sill which in this example has the traditional mitered return on the right in the pic
stool and apron.jpg
Patrick

JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JoeBlow »

It can be done cutting the piece flat. Created component with Turn and Spin and then split in two for a right and left side return. Filled in the middle with a 2 Rail Sweep component set to merge. Little bit of smoothing and it renders well.
Apron.jpg
WindowApron.crv3d
(2.56 MiB) Downloaded 86 times
Patrick