job side job modeling issue

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
chemstock
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: laguna 4x8 w/ 11" 4th Axis; MX CO2 laser

job side job modeling issue

Post by chemstock »

I have been modeling on a double sided job, with 3D models on both sides. When I do this, the job setup is giving an error indicating the model exceeds material height. The model position sliders show a negative gap below the model and a positive gap above the model and the program does not accept replacement of those values (it recalculates new +/- values+
When I deselect one side, the model works ok.
Do I need to create the upper and lower models separately?

Aspire Ver 11.008
Attachments
Aspire s sided .png

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: job side job modeling issue

Post by ohiolyons »

It would help if you posted the file.

The answer is no you don't need to have separate files.

Generally speaking when this happens your models are too tall for the thickness of your material.
You have a model on each side and assuming you have added, subtracted or merged correctly the 2 models are thicker than your material.

Typically when this happens to me I have not added, subtracted or merged correctly on one or both sides.
Sometimes giving the zero plane a negative distance can this cause this issue too.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The gap below the material is specified as -0.2685 and your material thickness is 3.1. So we have 3.1 - (-0.2685) = 3.3685 which is thicker than the model thickness of 3.00 hence the error message.

chemstock
Vectric Apprentice

Post by chemstock »

as shown in the screen screenshot;
model thickness is 3.0" Gap above model is 0.3685, Gap below model is -0.2685. The Gap above and Gap below is calculated by the software and resists any modification; At any rate, a model of 3" should fit in a block of 3.1". The issue goes away when I deselect the model from one side. When the Gap below the model is calculated as a negative, it is causing the thickness error. when I set that to zero, for some reason, the program recalculates and replaces my zero with a negative number.
2021-10-01 (2).png
If I make the model thickness 4", the program recalculates the gap above and the Gap below and still provides a thickness error.
I have tried to upload a scrubbed version of the Aspire file to demonstrate but I receive a "File too large" error from the Forum Server. (4.6Mgb)

chemstock
Vectric Apprentice

Post by chemstock »

dropbox link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdgrc25tk1z3b ... crv3d?dl=0
I will leave the file on my dropbox for a month or so (or until I remember to delete it)
I have scrubbed the licensed material from the file, but the form itself is derived from licensed material so this should only be used for analysis.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

From the 2nd image you posted your model thickness is 3.0 inches yet the "Modelling Plane Z" is 3.1316". That is it's not touching the model at all. Is there a reason that "Modelling Plane Z" was set that way?

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Add a zero plane to the top side and adjust the position of the model in the material. Also, I would add vectors around the models and change the 3D toolpaths to "Selected Vectors".
Attachments
Neck.png
Top with zero plane.png
Steve

chemstock
Vectric Apprentice

Post by chemstock »

Thanks, I will give that a try. I let the program decide where the Z plane should be,