Acrylic Cutting

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
RichardH
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom pro 24x48"

Acrylic Cutting

Post by RichardH »

I have Vectric Aspire10 and use an Axiom 24X48 Router. My problem is getting a clean cut when cutting . 25 inch cast acrylic. I have experimented with various feeds and speeds and hold-down methods, but never seem to achieve a satisfactory result - a clean smooth edge. It would be very helpful to get your opinion about the best feed and speed - and router bit - for this process. Thanks!
Richard Houde, White Bear Lake Minnesota

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Acrylic Cutting

Post by Adrian »

Not something I do personally but the question comes up very regularly on the forum. If you use the search facility at the top of the page you will get a lot of results with the advice you're looking for. Main thing is using an O flute bit from what I can see.

Seachaser
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster

Post by Seachaser »

Are you using an "O flute" cutter? This will make a big difference in the quality of cut.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Use a single flute bit that is designed for cutting Acrylic, I am in the UK so the bits I use will be different, Onsrud router bits are more difficult to buy in the UK but their O flute bits get mentioned a lot for this sort of work.
Can't help with speed & feed as this differs by machine but you are looking for a slower spindle speed & faster feed rate, chip extraction is very important to prevent recutting & heat build up, my chip extraction is not the best so I use an air line directed at the cutting tip which not only removes the cut chips but helps cool the bit, just a constant gentle blow is enough. :lol: :lol:

Soapyjoe
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Heiz High Z Machine German manufacture

Post by Soapyjoe »

Hi
There are several good videos that demonstrate the use of onsrud router bits for acrylic
Just Google it!
Soapy

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

I have an Axiom AR6 Pro and cut a lot of Cast Acrylic, I use an amana 51411 0 flute bit using the published speed and feeds.... never had a problem over the last several years using this bit... I do use a conservative depth of cut as time is not a cost for me.
With my recent purchase of an 80Watt laser all my cutting is now done on the laser except pockets which I still use my cnc.
Ron
Crafers Crafts

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

Aussie wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:07 am
I have an Axiom AR6 Pro and cut a lot of Cast Acrylic, I use an amana 51411 0 flute bit using the published speed and feeds.... never had a problem over the last several years using this bit... I do use a conservative depth of cut as time is not a cost for me.
With my recent purchase of an 80Watt laser all my cutting is now done on the laser except pockets which I still use my cnc.
I forgot to add my hold down method. Large items a vacuum table, small pieces tape and CA glue.
Tabs are a definite NO
Ron
Crafers Crafts

RichardH
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom pro 24x48"

Post by RichardH »

Thanks everyone for the Tips. I am now using a set of O-flutes and results are much better.