Ships Bell from 2021 UGM

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Ships Bell from 2021 UGM

Post by martin54 »

Not finished yet as all my finishing stuff is in storage due to a move of workshop (Landlord is building houses so I have to move)
Having spent 20 years in the Royal Navy before being medically discharged this project was a must as soon as I saw Todds presentation :lol: :lol:
Having Aspire I didn't have to worry about the clipping paths Todd used when he did this in VCarve Desktop. I used a programmable mp3 door chime for mine so I could upload a ships bell sound.

No Idea when I will get to finish this, finding a new workshop that is suitable & within my budget is a bit of a challenge but it's not looking to bad just now. Not sure the best way to colour the text, unfortunately there is a little bit of tearout at the top of the letter C which may cause a problem, may be able to repair that before colouring the text.

I don't think I will be able to upload the video because it's quite a large size so have put a link to my facebook page where I have also posted the project as it stands.

https://www.facebook.com/10005446755930 ... 5529451081

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Ships Bell from 2021 UGM

Post by mtylerfl »

Awesome job, Martin!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Cool looking job Martin.

Gary

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Thanks people, Todd from design & Make gets all the credit, great presentation as usual :lol: :lol: :lol:

BrooksM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1 SR-24, Shark SD110

Post by BrooksM »

Looks great!

Brooks

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

"6 Bells and All's Well"
Well Done Martin!!
The "Fist" almost looks like sisal or hemp rope! :) :)
Liking it!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Soapyjoe
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Heiz High Z Machine German manufacture

Post by Soapyjoe »

Very nice piece of work
I especially like the way you have machined the bell pivot ... this really does look good.
My one problem ... are you sure that callers will know to operate it?
Is it sufficiently "touch sensitive" enough to overcome the urge to pull the rope to ring the bell .... or does it work that way?
Soapy

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Post by Todd Bailey »

Martin... that is so nice!!! Love it and the MP3 doorbell... oh nice touch!

So glad you took the idea and ran with it! Thank you so much for taking the time to share!!!

Seriously... so cool!
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Thanks for the kind words, anyone who has seen the 2021 user group meeting will know this was one of Todd's presentations so it is his idea & design, I mearly took his idea & made a couple of changes, the presentation was done using Vcarve Desktop & as I am lucky enough to have Aspire I didn't have to worry about clipping paths :lol: :lol:
For anyone who missed the 2021 UGM then stop reading this & go check it out, worth every minute spent & more :lol: :lol:

The Bell was going to be Oak but I wanted to make it quite deep & didn't have a lot of thicker oak but I did have quite a bit of ash as 32mm so the bell ended up being ash. The monkey's fish is an unknown redwood, might be Meranti but the bits I have were given to me & were a very old packing crate, colour was about right though for what I wanted as Scott has mentioned. I put a dome shape under the model to make it a little more rounded, used the create shape tool in Aspire & the vector boundary from the model, just removed the loop from the vector so just the rounder part of the model has the dome shape under it. You could probably do something similar using a dome shape from the clipart but the fist isn't perfectly round so might take a bit of tweeking to get right or again use a clipping path :lol: :lol:
Post/backing board were an old bit of American black walnut floor board that came in a pallet of ABW offcuts I bought a couple of years ago from a Hardwood floor manufacturer.
Soapy to be honest I didn't machine the bell pivot :lol: :lol: I was going to machine something with a rounded end but then thought that the broom handle looked about the right diameter so it is now a little shorter with a square end :lol: :lol:
Todd sent me the link for the door chime he used but before I went ahead & ordered it occured to me that there must be a programmable chine available & the one I found was actually cheaper than the door chime Todd linked me to. Only has an 8 chime memory but I only needed to install one.

Soapy, your right operation might be a bit of a problem for those that don't know how it works but I can easy stick a small vinyl sign next to it something like "please press rope ball" for them to completely ignore :lol: :lol: :lol: