Aspire - rotary issues

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
scottfinchum
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Aspire - rotary issues

Post by scottfinchum »

I have Aspire 11.006. I have an Axiom AR8. I am trying to design a Christmas ornament. I have 'Along Y axis' selected as the 4th axis is along the Y-axis. I keep trying to uncheck 'Flip design' but it keeps coming back (not sure what this does anyway). I created a rough profile. When I am tiled between the views, The rendering comes out OK. When I select Job Size and orientation to check my settings, it all goes Wonky (this is without changing anything-just clicking OK).

What am I doing wrong, here?

Thanks
Scott
after modeling
after modeling
selecting job sizing
selecting job sizing
just clicking OK
just clicking OK

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Aspire - rotary issues

Post by adze_cnc »

scottfinchum wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:37 pm
I keep trying to uncheck 'Flip design' but it keeps coming back (not sure what this does anyway).
Cut and paste from the manual (there's plenty of useful information in it):

When this option is enabled, the design will be flipped when the orientation is changed

That is if checked then when you change from "Along X Axis" to "Along Y Axis" (or vice versa) the design will be automatically rotated 90 degrees. Uncheck it then change orientation and the design will not rotate.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

You can add horizontal legs to one or both ends to make the endpoints vertically aligned or adjust the shape of the profile vector.until they are aligned. I included both profiles in the example. Of course, the total width cannot exceed the radius of the blank. The flip design check box in the job setup flips the your design when you change orientation between flip in the Y or X direction.
Attachments
Tree Ornament3.crv3d
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 40 times
Steve

scottfinchum

Post by scottfinchum »

Steve,

I opened your file 'Tree ornament'. I opened just fine. I checked the job setup - it looks just like mine. I clicked 'Cancel' It did the exact same thing. What am I missing?
Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 1.52.39 PM.png

scottfinchum

Post by scottfinchum »

SteveNelson46 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:26 pm
You can add horizontal legs to one or both ends to make the endpoints vertically aligned or adjust the shape of the profile vector.until they are aligned. I included both profiles in the example. Of course, the total width cannot exceed the radius of the blank. The flip design check box in the job setup flips the your design when you change orientation between flip in the Y or X direction.
I opened your file 'Tree ornament'. I opened just fine. I checked the job setup - it looks just like mine. I clicked 'Cancel' It did the exact same thing. What am I missing?
Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 1.52.39 PM.png
Double posted as I am trying to understand the shorthand on the posts and the forum

JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AxiomAR6Pro

Post by JoeBlow »

Hi Scott. Simple fix for you with this.....take your profile vector and flip it horizontally with the mirror tool and redo the 2 rail sweep. Then go into the material setup and verify model position. Close that form and you should have what you are after.

I did notice in your pics that you are using cylinder surface for Z-0. Might want to make sure that is what you want as most people are using cylinder axis for Z-0. One other thing...I see your design is flipped top to bottom when I run the sweep. If you go into node edit mode and change the start point for the profile vector to the other end then your model will display the same as your profile vector.
Patrick

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Joe is right. Sorry. I didn't run a toolpath that would have shown the mistake. This has "stabbed" me several times in the past. I'm not sure why the 3D view wasn't displayed correctly for me.
Steve

scottfinchum

Post by scottfinchum »

JoeBlow wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:02 pm
Hi Scott. Simple fix for you with this.....take your profile vector and flip it horizontally with the mirror tool and redo the 2 rail sweep. Then go into the material setup and verify model position. Close that form and you should have what you are after.

I did notice in your pics that you are using cylinder surface for Z-0. Might want to make sure that is what you want as most people are using cylinder axis for Z-0. One other thing...I see your design is flipped top to bottom when I run the sweep. If you go into node edit mode and change the start point for the profile vector to the other end then your model will display the same as your profile vector.
Much better! Thank you. I didn't realize that Aspire 'looked at' the orientation that way. I understand now.
Thanks a bunch.
Scott