Laser Enhancement on a Rotary Project

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
TimSchubach
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD MAKO

Laser Enhancement on a Rotary Project

Post by TimSchubach »

I have a student who wants to make a small baseball bat as a gift for one of his teammates. He created and successfully cut the bat as a rotary project, and it looks great. However, he'd now like to enhance the project by laser engraving the teammate's name and jersey number. We're using an Axiom CNC, Aspire V9.519 ( yes I know it's old ).

If I'm correct, he'd need to use a Quick Engrave toolpath for the laser, but the QE toolpath doesn't allow for the text to be projected onto a 3d model which is an option when you create plain text using a V-Carve toolpath. And the laser isn't a valid tool for a V-Carve toolpath, although I've heard that I can define another endmill tool with a really small diameter and use the laser that way. Sounds a little kludgy, though. I'm also not sure which post-processor he'd need to use. We want the 4th axis post to be used so the bat rotates and the laser will hit it straight on, but he has to use a different post processor to run the laser. Obviously we're missing something, but we don't know what. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Laser Enhancement on a Rotary Project

Post by TReischl »

Been doing it for several years now. I have never used a quick engrave toolpath for anything, but hey, that is just me!

Some of this sort of depends on the laser you are using. In my case, (el cheapo chinese special), it has a really long focal length. Translated, I typically do not need to use Z axis at all for engraving. It will burn +/- 1 inch from optimum focus. That eliminates the need for projecting the toolpath onto 3D shapes.

Sometimes we get wrapped up in the famous "what can all go wrong with this?" syndrome. When that happens, I set up a test piece to see if all the hoodoo's, ghosts, gremlins are actually real, or just my over thinking it.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Oh yea, I define the laser as a tiny endmill. The problem with that is that it is hard to see anything in the preview, so what I do is make it a .020 dia, and tell it to cut fairly deep so I can see what is going on.

One man's kludge is another man's elegant solution. LOL.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

TimSchubach
Vectric Apprentice

Post by TimSchubach »

Thanks for your reply.

I have also defined a new tool in my database as an end mill with a diameter of 0.01 ( read that somewhere ) for laser engraving. With the laser defined as an end mill, I can create a profile toolpath that will mimic the QE tool path outline. And I could still project onto the model if I chose to. But I think I'm still stuck in a situation where I need two post processors: one for rotation on the 4th axis, and one for the laser. How do I work around that?

The laser that we're using is the JTech 4.2W laser that Axiom sells with their CNC machines ( https://www.axiomprecision.com/accessor ... t-120.html ).

Thanks

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

TimSchubach wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:23 am
Thanks for your reply.

I have also defined a new tool in my database as an end mill with a diameter of 0.01 ( read that somewhere ) for laser engraving. With the laser defined as an end mill, I can create a profile toolpath that will mimic the QE tool path outline. And I could still project onto the model if I chose to. But I think I'm still stuck in a situation where I need two post processors: one for rotation on the 4th axis, and one for the laser. How do I work around that?

The laser that we're using is the JTech 4.2W laser that Axiom sells with their CNC machines ( https://www.axiomprecision.com/accessor ... t-120.html ).

Thanks
You do not "work around" that. What you do is create the post processor you need. Not as bad as you might think. One of the axis has to be defined as "A" axis, replacing either the X or Y depending on how the A axis is oriented.

On my machine, the laser module is offset from the spindle, so I took that into account by defining the G55 as that offset distance. Normally a post uses G54 as the default. So not sure what you will need to do?

Couple of things: First, BACK UP your posts before editing them. Second, once you figure out how to modify a post, it is really, REALLY handy to get the machine to act the way YOU want. It is really not that difficult, hopefully a few other folks will wander by and provide some of their insights on how they modified posts.

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Post by GeneMpls »

This not going to help you, probably... but a Laser [chinese] guru developed a rotary design with no motor, built from acrylic. It uses the gantry for power and as it rolls forward the cylinder is turned with it. It works a treat- I built one and it worked so well that I re-designed using alum extrusions and fittings and a couple of 3D printer threaded rods and nuts. The concept is really elegant [again- not mine]- here is a graphic from my instruction for building it that may help visualize it. I have plans [free] for it and have built several. Gene

Rotary device instructions- theory.jpg

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

GeneMpls wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:32 pm
This not going to help you, probably... but a Laser [chinese] guru developed a rotary design with no motor, built from acrylic. It uses the gantry for power and as it rolls forward the cylinder is turned with it. It works a treat- I built one and it worked so well that I re-designed using alum extrusions and fittings and a couple of 3D printer threaded rods and nuts. The concept is really elegant [again- not mine]- here is a graphic from my instruction for building it that may help visualize it. I have plans [free] for it and have built several. Gene

.Rotary device instructions- theory.jpg
Pretty neat Gene. But, from that one view I cannot figure out how it is working? Do you have a link for more info?

Ahhh, wait a mintue, are those wheels at the bottom rolling on the bed of the machine? And the centers for the workpiece attached to that mechanism? Maybe it helps that I turned down the Billy Idol tunes, LOL.

BEF
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR6 Pro+

Post by BEF »

Speak to Chad at Axiom about a laser rotary post-processor. I think he will be able to help you.

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Post by GeneMpls »

TR- yep you got it- you have to put a smooth plate on a laser bed and then the wheels have rubber tires for traction- the arms connect to the gantry with magnets and the object turns 1:1 with the gantry [backwards of course]. For not cylindrical items one end is adjustable. No motor, no calibration- only happiness.

TimSchubach
Vectric Apprentice

Post by TimSchubach »

BEF wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:54 pm
Speak to Chad at Axiom about a laser rotary post-processor. I think he will be able to help you.
Chad was a great help - thanks!