Get rid of lip on dish

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
mrorange
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom

Get rid of lip on dish

Post by mrorange »

I will try to find a way attach my file to make it easier to understand, but it is saying its too large to upload (8mb).

Basically I am trying to make this teardrop shaped bowl, but am having trouble getting the edges to render how I need them to. Currently I am either getting an extra lip after running the toolpaths, or it cuts off too much material from the sides. Any help with the matter is much appreciated!!

Here are the images of the problems...

This one has a lip on it
Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 4.38.18 PM.png
This one I tried setting an offset to profile closer to the object but doesn't seem to do the trick
Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 4.36.09 PM.png

I just need it to be a nice curved transition on the outside edge

Let me know what information you would need to help here?
Thanks in advance!

mrorange

Re: Get rid of lip on dish

Post by mrorange »

I figured it out!

For anyone interested, I ended up needing to add a slight negative on the zero plane for the bottom to accommodate for the radius of the ball nose bit..

mrorange

Re: Get rid of lip on dish

Post by mrorange »

So I almost had this figured out. However still having some issues.

Perhaps a better way to phrase the question is: How can you set a limit plane beneath the material so that when you cut out a 3D object with a finishing path the bit will go beneath the bottom surface of the material? I cannot completely get rid of the lip without moving the object into the center of the workpiece (on the z axis). The problem with this (putting it in the center and leaving space on top and bottom of material) is that then there is a gap beneath the object and the bed leading to vibration issues with cutting etc. Seems better to keep it flush with the bed surface.