How to edit a shape after it has been made?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
mrorange
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom

How to edit a shape after it has been made?

Post by mrorange »

Prob a very dumb question, however I am having difficulty. Is it possible to edit a shape with the same editor that it is created with? The one where you can set height limits, etc.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: How to edit a shape after it has been made?

Post by adze_cnc »

mrorange wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:38 am
edit a shape with the same editor that it is created with?
And what would that editor be that created the shape?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Pictures/screenshots help & as adze_cnc has said which editor or what do you mean by edit. A better discription of how you want to edit a component is really needed, you know exactly what you want to do but at the moment others are just guessing :lol: :lol:
The component properties form will allow you to change shape height, add base height, fade, tilt, change combine mode etc & there are other tools you can use such as the sculpting tools :lol: :lol:

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Meant to edit my post to add a bit but it was to long ago :oops: :oops:

If what i think is the answer to your question & as I said above it's a guessing game, then the answer is that I do not think you can but could be wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:
If what you want to be able to do is select a component you have created, bring up the tool for making that component, change one setting & the component will auto update then I don't think that is possible, once you have either closed the form or clicked create new component then the editing in that tool is complete & you would need a different method of editing your component :lol: :lol: :lol:

mrorange

Post by mrorange »

Sorry screenshots would have been helpful!

Is there a way to get back to this after you have created a shape?
Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 7.56.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 7.56.18 AM.png

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

Mr. Orange: very good and timely question. I've been doing my first "real" modelling job in the Aspire Trial edition, and have run into the same thing. I hope you (we) get an answer. So far I've just been recreating the items, hoping I don't forget any of the parameters. That's not very efficient!

Edit: So far Martin's answer seems to be the correct one, but I hope he's wrong.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's a Create Shape form/tool rather than a Create/Edit form/tool so you can't get back to it after creating the shape to edit it. It will remember the last used settings though.

Right clicking on the component in the component tree and selecting Properties shows all the values you can edit for an existing component.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

jfederer wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:19 pm
Mr. Orange: very good and timely question. I've been doing my first "real" modelling job in the Aspire Trial edition, and have run into the same thing. I hope you (we) get an answer. So far I've just been recreating the items, hoping I don't forget any of the parameters. That's not very efficient!

Edit: So far Martin's answer seems to be the correct one, but I hope he's wrong.
The tool does remember your last used settings as Adrian has said but if you are using it quite a bit then that may not work, I don't tend to hit close of creste new shape until I am completely happy with what I have produced :lol: :lol: :lol:
What sort of changes would you make if you could?
I use layers a lot, some of them are purely to help with designing rather than being a part of the actual finished project.This isn't something that I have had to do but if it proved to be something that gave me a problem then I would copy all the vectors onto a new layer, name it what it is & then type the info required on the level so it was there if I needed to come back to it. Takes a bit longer but you don't have to try & remember everything. Easy enough to turn off the visibility of the layer & also lock it so you don't accidently change anything. Or you could use a note book, did that for many years when working as a signmaker :lol: :lol: :lol:

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

Adrian, thanks for confirming that. The only thing that can't be modified after creation is the Form Shape, and I guess that makes sense.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

Just don't delete the original vector that created that shape.
Then creating another (if you need a different one) with different settings is not that big of a deal.

I create a new layer and make it invisible to minimize clutter.
I also lock it so I don't move or delete those vectors.

These were all learned in the school of hard knocks.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

mrorange

Post by mrorange »

Thank you! At least now I know so I can stop searching for a solution

PawPrints

Post by PawPrints »

I have verified the same thing. It would be nice if you could since sometimes, after adding components, I wish I could change the angle or another property in an existing component that you can't in "Properties" menu.