v11 rest machining question

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Desert_Woodworker
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

v11 rest machining question

Post by Desert_Woodworker »

I assume that by selecting multiple tools bits this takes the place to get to those uncut areas.. does the program do all the computations for the smaller tool bits?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: v11 rest machining question

Post by martin54 »

It means that for a finish pass rather than machining the whole model with a small bit to get the required level of detail which obviously takes a lot of time you can use multiple tools & the larger bit will do all the areas it can fit into & the smaller bit will only do the areas the larger bit will not fit :lol: :lol:
Not a very good explanation but hope it gives you an idea. Yes the computer does all the work, it takes longer to calculate the toolpaths but if you have a reasonably high spec machine it's not that much longer.

Have you watched the whats new in V11 video ?? :lol:

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Using VCP 11.006 here, but thinking the rest machining option is the same as Aspire(?).
I'm doing a series of Tinys, and only spent about 6 hours trying this feature,
but nothing I've tried so far gives me something that a single tool(30 engraving .005flat) toolpath
in max preview is way better and I can follow the whole toolpath improvement by eye.

Is there a tutorial that covers this better than "What's New"?
I must be doing something wrong(or not spending enough time on variations).
Still cutting this as VCP10.5** until I figure this feature out.

I realize Vectric staff is right out straight with Many things going on...Thanks Staff and Support!!

Thanks,
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Pete Cyr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II

Post by Pete Cyr »

https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... -toolpaths
Review this tutorial at step 4 - it clarifies the rest machining process

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

but nothing I've tried so far gives me something that a single tool(30 engraving .005flat) toolpath
in max preview is way better and I can follow the whole toolpath improvement by eye.
Rest machining provides significant time savings on designs have smooth areas as well as detailed areas. Notice the example in the video tutorial has smooth areas for the dish, and highly detailed areas where it transitions from the dish to the other parts of the design.
Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 12.07.56 PM.png
An example of one of ScottP55's pieces that might benefit is the Shaman design on a flat background. The main design would likely be cut by the smaller tool, but the background could be cut faster with a larger tool.
Scot55SHAMAN FINISHED 4.jpg
My own experience has shown that at least a 4 to 1 ratio between the larger tool and the smaller tool gives good results, i.e 0.5" and 0.125" for example.

However, some of ScottP55's designs would probably see no benefit from rest machining. The detailed tree is an example where there aren't enough smooth areas that could be machined entirely with a larger bit.
Scot55TREE 1 4 BRUSHED AND LINWAXED.jpeg
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks Pete!
Just watched it, and explains a few things like the 2 Offsets. :)
But still getting getting funky results.
Most likely because it's imported at Max res(50X), and using 2 such small tools.
I changed 3 things yesterday while 2 hr cut was going on and got 1 Nightmare(WTF) preview.
INCREMENT SAVED_8 1D REST MACHINING TOOLPATH FOR ENGRAVING BIT SETTINGS.jpg
INCREMENT SAVED_8 1D REST MACHINING TOOLPATH TIMES.jpg
2 identical models and tool settings, and didn't act at ALL like the previous 7 versions.
Went back and changed only 1 thing at a time, to try to find the issue...but Now it's behaving(kinda).
INCREMENT SAVED_7 REST MACHINING V11.005.jpg
But still at max (Fine) slider, it's skipping over things like clearing out letters.
I'll keep plugging away, as it could save me a LOT of time....
but it may just be this particular model at this particular Tiny size
like Randall pointed out with those trashy pieces of workmanship. :wink: :wink:
Thanks!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.