V11 - Create Component from Toolpath preview - Glitch?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

V11 - Create Component from Toolpath preview - Glitch?

Post by ZipperHead55 »

I recently upgraded to V11, and while I like many of the new features, there seems to be a glitch when creating a component from the toolpath preview.

Previously, I had created a component using this method, so I could export it out as clipart or as a standalone CRV3D file, mainly so I could show clients how a multi-piece project would look. For example, I will do this to visualize different possibilities using separate components, and then use Windows snipping tool to take a screen grab.

In the past, within Aspire I would double click on the piece to remove the extra material (after I run the toolpath and do a simulation), and when I exported it (using Create Component from Toolpath Preview), the resulting model would look like what was on the screen (all the extra material removed), but in V11, the exported model looks like the toolpath preview BEFORE I removed the extra material, so it's not useful at all. As a workaround, I have to create the component in Vers10.5, export it as 3DClipart, close out my instance of V11 (so the clipart will be visible in Aspire), and then open it up, import the clipart that I created in 10.5, and then all is good.

I am really liking the Sheets functionality (previously, I would have to have 3 or 4 instances of Aspire open, and juggle importing/exporting, or copy/pasting, to accomplish what can be done in V11.

I'm not sure if this needs to reported to Vectric, but I was curious if anyone else has had this issue. If it is indeed a bug, I will report it to Vectric.

Allan

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: V11 - Create Component from Toolpath preview - Glitch?

Post by dealguy11 »

Check to see if the Preview Simulation Quality (under the Toolpaths dropdown) has now been reset to Standard. When it is low, then pixels can bridge the gap left by the cutout bit. Setting it higher can resolve this issue. This was true in prior versions, also. I noticed that this setting was reset to Standard when I installed V11.

Note that this affects the simulation quality on the screen only, not the actual cut.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

The same thing happens with me. I think Vectric needs to take a look at it.
Steve

RalphPitz
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus

Post by RalphPitz »

Using Aspire V.11, I created a model and did a preview toolpath. I then double clicked on the waist part(s) of the preview toolpath to remove the extra material. Then I created a component using "Create Component from Toolpath Preview". I did a "Save As" and renamed the resulting component, and when I opened it up, I had the original component without any of the waist (all of the extra material was removed). My modeling resolution setting was "standard".

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

RalphPitz wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:07 am
Using Aspire V.11, I created a model and did a preview toolpath. I then double clicked on the waist part(s) of the preview toolpath to remove the extra material. Then I created a component using "Create Component from Toolpath Preview". I did a "Save As" and renamed the resulting component, and when I opened it up, I had the original component without any of the waist (all of the extra material was removed). My modeling resolution setting was "standard".
That didn't happen with my examples. I saved the file with a different name, closed Aspire and then reopened the file. The component still had the waste material.

Has anyone sent this to tech support yet? I can if no one else wants to.
Steve

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ZipperHead55 »

Thanks for the replies, guys!

One thing I forgot to mention was that I was using a moulding toolpath to create my model, whereas I normally use the Create Shape tools when I make a model, and I had never used a moulding toolpath before, so I am unfamiliar with how it would "normally" be done and look in the older versions (I reverted to 10.5 to test out if it was something that happened in that version, just to double-check).

In the big picture, for me, it's not a huge deal, since I rarely use that functionality, but I can see where many people would like to use the moulding toolpath to make a model (and save it as clipart or as an STL file for later usage), so if I don't see a reply from a Vectric team member, I will submit it as a fault next week.

Allan

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

ZipperHead55 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:32 am
Thanks for the replies, guys!

One thing I forgot to mention was that I was using a moulding toolpath to create my model, whereas I normally use the Create Shape tools when I make a model, and I had never used a moulding toolpath before, so I am unfamiliar with how it would "normally" be done and look in the older versions (I reverted to 10.5 to test out if it was something that happened in that version, just to double-check).

In the big picture, for me, it's not a huge deal, since I rarely use that functionality, but I can see where many people would like to use the moulding toolpath to make a model (and save it as clipart or as an STL file for later usage), so if I don't see a reply from a Vectric team member, I will submit it as a fault next week.

Allan
Mine was created entirely with toolpaths only with the same resuts. I sent the file along with an explanation to support.

EDIT: The same thing happens with a toolpath generated from components also. I might add though, that the preview did have tabs in the beginning but I regenerated it without tabs. A toolpath the contained tabs in the beginning may be a factor.
Steve

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Have people tried resetting the toolpath preview simulation as dealguy11 has suggested? I have increased mine to very high (4 x slower) & I don't have any problem deleting the waste material :lol: :lol: :lol:

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

I just tried to replicate what you're seeing with a moulding profile. I usually run my preview simulation quality at max.

At that level, I could run the toolpath, delete the waste and create the component from the preview with no problem. The deleted waste stayed deleted

If I set the preview simulation quality to standard on a large sheet, and did the cutout of the component with a 1/8" end mill (to make a narrow line), then I could not delete the waste because some pixels bridged the gap (AS EXPECTED). Creating a component from this model included the waste, since it couldn't be deleted.

I could not replicate previewing the toolpaths at a preview simulation quality level high enough to eliminate stray pixels, deleting the waste, and then having the waste re-appear when the component was created.

All this behavior is as expected. If you are seeing waste reappear in a component after it has been deleted, then by all means report it to Vectric.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I sent a test file to tech support and their answer was:

Hello Steve,

"Many thanks for your inquiry, I am currently looking into this for you.

A way around this is to use the Clear area of selected components outside selected vectors tool,
Please see screenshot: https://www.screencast.com/t/HxEyP5zC5
This will remove the material around the edge of the model that has been created.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Katie"

At first I thought that it didn't work until I turned off Multi-sided View.
Steve

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

SteveNelson46 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:14 am

Hello Steve,

A way around this is to use the Clear area of selected components outside selected vectors tool,
This will remove the material around the edge of the model that has been created.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Katie"

I know your an experienced user, more so than me :oops: :oops: Did you actually try increasing the toolpath preview simulation? I used a bit of existing clipart, toolpathed & removed waste, created component from toolpath preview, saved as 3D clipart & then imported it back into software without a problem & without the waste showing as I said in my post above. I have increased the toolpth resolution quality to very high (4 x slower)
This was what I had it set at before installing V11 on my machine. Installing V11 reset it back to standard so it needed to be changed again :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

martin54 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:15 pm
SteveNelson46 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:14 am

Hello Steve,

I hope this helps.

I have a fairly high-end computer that I built myself so, unless I have a need to set it to something else, I usually just leave the toolpath simulation quality set at extremely high (8X). That is what it was set at when I sent the file to Tech Support. It's just a really simple "hot plate" for a small skillet. I designed it for a friend that just opened a new restaurant. I'll include it here. Give it a try and see what you come up with. The tabs on the cutout have been removed for the test.

Kind regards,

Katie"

I know your an experienced user, more so than me :oops: :oops: Did you actually try increasing the toolpath preview simulation? I used a bit of existing clipart, toolpathed & removed waste, created component from toolpath preview, saved as 3D clipart & then imported it back into software without a problem & without the waste showing as I said in my post above. I have increased the toolpth resolution quality to very high (4 x slower)
This was what I had it set at before installing V11 on my machine. Installing V11 reset it back to standard so it needed to be changed again :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Zio Peppe-test.crv3d
(2.81 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
Steve

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Must be something to do with it being a double sided job :lol: :lol:
If you take your file & make it a single sided job then it works as advertised :lol: :lol:

I tried the model that I had used originally but this time made it a double sided job & just machined a couple of pockets on the back, soon as I created a model from toolpaths the waste material re appeared :lol: :lol:

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ZipperHead55 »

martin54 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:22 pm
Must be something to do with it being a double sided job :lol: :lol:
If you take your file & make it a single sided job then it works as advertised :lol: :lol:

I tried the model that I had used originally but this time made it a double sided job & just machined a couple of pockets on the back, soon as I created a model from toolpaths the waste material re appeared :lol: :lol:
Thanks for realizing this! I didn't put that particular fact into my original post, but I WAS creating a 2-sided project, so that part of the equation is critical (for troubleshooting, since I am guessing that the people who tried it out, and weren't able to replicate my issue, did it with a one-sided (ie default setting) project.

I'm sure Vectric will get it sorted in no time.

Allan

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

When creating components from the preview, we create a component from each side separately.

When waste is removed from the two-sided preview, we do it directly on it and not the preview of each side. Otherwise, you'll start seeing some odd artefacts.

The problem is a limitation with the way we represent two-sided models and how we allow removing waste material from it. To do this at the moment, remove the waste of each side independently and then create the component. It's something we will look at trying to improve in the future.

I don't believe that is a new behaviour to V11, when I try in V10.5, it seems to have the same behaviour?
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++