3D Segmenting

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
mfirlott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 (2014)

Re: 3D Segmenting

Post by mfirlott »

Thanks for that. I have every confidence in Vectric. I've been a constant user since 2015 :D :D
(Mitch)
CAMaster Stinger I
Vectric Aspire
Epilog 45watt Helix Laser

mfirlott
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mfirlott »

Hi Ayah.

In a previous response, you said..."We are currently in the process of improving this aspect of the process, thanks for bringing it to our attention."

Has there been any success in adding this capability and if so, when do you think it could be released?

Thanks...

signed...anxiously waiting :)
(Mitch)
CAMaster Stinger I
Vectric Aspire

ayah
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: ---

Post by ayah »

Hi,
This feature improvement has just gone out in the latest patch, from v11.007 onwards you are able to select a segment in layout mode and press the "O" keyboard shortcut - this will display a dynamic rotation handle centred on the selected segment which will allow you to interactively orientate it.

Hope this is helpful!
Aya

mfirlott
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mfirlott »

Way cool. Thanks for the prompt reply. I will start to use this feature immediately. I'll give it a go over the coming days and weeks.

Thanks so much.

Awesome!!!!
(Mitch)
CAMaster Stinger I
Vectric Aspire

mfirlott
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mfirlott »

Just started to play around with this new feature. Either I'm doing something wrong or it's intermittent.

On the first try, in Layout Mode, I pressed "O" and the dynamic rotation handle appeared and I was able to rotate that segment perfectly. However, on the next selected segment, after pressing "O", it's the plane that rotates and not the segment itself. I shut Aspire down and relaunched but no difference. Now all segments no longer rotate. The dynamic handles appear over the segment but it's the entire plane that gets rotated, not the segment.

It only worked the one time on the one segment???

Reboot also did not make a difference.

Am I missing something??

Thanks...
(Mitch)
CAMaster Stinger I
Vectric Aspire

mfirlott
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mfirlott »

mfirlott wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:15 pm
Just started to play around with this new feature. Either I'm doing something wrong or it's intermittent.

On the first try, in Layout Mode, I pressed "O" and the dynamic rotation handle appeared and I was able to rotate that segment perfectly. However, on the next selected segment, after pressing "O", it's the plane that rotates and not the segment itself. I shut Aspire down and relaunched but no difference. Now all segments no longer rotate. The dynamic handles appear over the segment but it's the entire plane that gets rotated, not the segment.

It only worked the one time on the one segment???

Reboot also did not make a difference.

Am I missing something??

Thanks...
Sorry...I figured it out. I kept on holding the "O" key down. Just hit "o" once then release and it works.
Thanks...
(Mitch)
CAMaster Stinger I
Vectric Aspire

mfirlott
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mfirlott »

This newest feature, dynamic rotation, is awesome.

Question please...

After segmenting on a 2-sided job, how can I move a segment around or cut/paste it onto a new sheet while ensuring both sides end up in their proper places? Basically, how to rearrange a 2-sided segment as a unit?

Thanks.
(Mitch)
CAMaster Stinger I
Vectric Aspire

ayah
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: ---

Post by ayah »

Good to hear that the dynamic rotation is working well for you!

One way to achieve what you are describing is through nesting; the nesting tool has a "Nest two-sided parts" option which will ensure that both sides of each segment are moved together during nesting. You can also choose to nest on a different sheet through the custom sheet selection in the nesting form, thus allowing you to move the segment onto another sheet.

If for some reason you do not want/cannot use nesting, another way is to move components from bottom to top side, move them to the desired location and then move them back to the bottom side.

Hope this is helpful.
Aya

mfirlott
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mfirlott »

Beauty! Thanks Aya.

I've been using the Nesting but do not always agree with the results or in some cases, I want to move the segment to another position on another sheet.

But the Other Side move you mention is the answer!!! I've tried it and it works just perfectly. Thanks so much for the tip.

I haven't been to the CNC yet as I've been experimenting with this new feature and testing out different types of models to see the output. Can't wait to get one I like and am willing to expend the time and wood on.

Am very anxious! Thanks again!!!!!
(Mitch)
CAMaster Stinger I
Vectric Aspire