Rest machine 3d finish path in v11

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Tomsav
Model of CNC Machine: Shark hd 5 extended

Rest machine 3d finish path in v11

Post by Tomsav »

Hello,
Just wanted to know if anyone is having crashing and freezing problems running the new tool path options?

On all larger projects (over 9x12) or so everytime I go to calculate 2 3d finish paths I keep freezing up during calculations. Small simple projects it seems to run fine just slow.

Computer is well above specs. 3.4 quad core, 16 gig ssd ram. 16 gig ssd cache and a decent video card.

I did try reinstalling v11 just to make sure but it did not help, Just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing similar issues.

Thanks,
Tom

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Rest machine 3d finish path in v11

Post by scottp55 »

Just out of curiosity I just stretched a model to 12X12 I was working on.
No problems at all, but not much larger than where you said you were having problems.
Just a rebuilt Win 10 here....nothing really overboard on it.
LARGE REST MACHINE.jpg
Did you get any error notices?
Maybe send it so support after double checking stuff?
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

I work on large projects (40" x 90"x 3") very high resolution.
No problems with V11 to report
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

my first v11 project was a 12x12 USMC emblem. While calculating the finish toolpath there was a 15s pause in the process. I figure it was calculating what was remaining after the first tool before building the REST toolpath for it. But it did finish correctly.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Much depends on you tool parameters. If you stepover is 1/10,000 of an inch it's going to take a long time to calculate. If it it's 1/1,000 not so much, if it's 1/100 then quick indeed.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

It does take longer, and if you add more tools it takes a very long time. (I tried it with 6 tools and it tool 30 minutes).

I found an optimum set of tools is something like a 1/4" and a 1/16", or a 2mm and a 0.25mm, i.e. the smaller tool should be 1/4 to 1/8th the diameter of the larger tool.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

jtflores2000
Model of CNC Machine: CNC4Newbies

Post by jtflores2000 »

I have had the same issue for all of my 3D files. I have had my computer sit for over 20 min and still nothing. I have removed and reinstalled Desktop 11 and no change. I have email Vectric with screenshots and the file and have yet to get a response, hopefully they can provide some feedback. I will not upgrade as soon as it becomes available.
Jeff Flores
Texas, USA

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

15" x 12" model with Maximum resolution, 1/4" ballnose at 8% stepover, 1/8" ballnose at 8%, offset strategy on both tools and Rest Machining detail at 0.0043 (what it defaulted to) and it took just over 2 minutes to calculate.

I also tried with machining detail at 0.0004 and that took nearly 4 minutes but no hangs or pauses, the progress bar was moving at all times. Adding in a 1/16" tool as well took it up to 6 minutes.

jtflores2000

Post by jtflores2000 »

UPDATE: I have had the same issue for all of my 3D files. I have had my computer sit for over 20 min and still nothing. I have removed and reinstalled Desktop 11 and no change. I have emailed Vectric with screenshots and the stl file and have yet to get a response, hopefully they can provide some feedback. I was at woek but now i was able to add pictures of my tool settings. Please provide any guidance. I am getting really frustrated with Desktop 11. :x
Jeff Flores
Texas, USA

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You need to upload those pictures at a higher resolution. They're too small to be readable.

You could also remove any copyrighted models from the job and attach the actual CRV file.

I can see the shape of the tool though and it looks like you're using an engraving bit rather than a ball nose. Is that correct?

jtflores2000

Post by jtflores2000 »

Adrian wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:08 pm
You need to upload those pictures at a higher resolution. They're too small to be readable.

You could also remove any copyrighted models from the job and attach the actual CRV file.

I can see the shape of the tool though and it looks like you're using an engraving bit rather than a ball nose. Is that correct?
I am very new. How can I attached the crv file? i am updating the pictures.Thank you.
Jeff Flores
Texas, USA

jtflores2000

Post by jtflores2000 »

jtflores2000 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:34 pm
UPDATE: I have had the same issue for all of my 3D files. I have had my computer sit for over 20 min and still nothing. I have removed and reinstalled Desktop 11 and no change. I have emailed Vectric with screenshots and the stl file and have yet to get a response, hopefully they can provide some feedback. I was at woek but now i was able to add pictures of my tool settings. Please provide any guidance. I am getting really frustrated with Desktop 11. :x
Attachments
2mm.JPG
amana.JPG
Jeff Flores
Texas, USA

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Try increasing the stepover. An 8% value is ok for a 1/4" and 1/8" ballnose but when you go down to 1/32", especially with a 6% setting, the stepover is a tiny amount which is probably making zero difference to the quality of the cut. You might even find that the second tool is doing nothing unless the 3D model is very small.

I'm far from an expert in 3D compared to others on the forum but that's where I'd start for what's it worth.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As has been said there is increased time but I haven't seen anything like the times people are saying.
I've just tried a 3D model at 12 x 12, very high resonution (x7) which is as high as I need to go for most of the work I do. 2 x tapered ballnose bits, 1mm & 0.25mm radius. 10% stepover on the 1mm bit & 12% stepover on the 0.25mm bit

On my desktop machine which is a fairly high end machine the time was a couple of minutes, on my laptop which is only a ryzen5 processor with 8 gig of ram the time was only 7 minutes which actually surprised me, thought it would be longer from reading this post.

It will depend on the actual 3D model you are machining, I realise that copyright may be an issue but could people post a screen shot of the models that are giving these long times, also consider sending the file to vectric. :lol: :lol:

Other thing is do you really need to use rest machining & multiple tools? A lot of my 3D models won't gain any extra detail from using multiple tools so the toolpathing will be done with just the one bit as I have done in the past :lol: :lol:

jtflores2000

Post by jtflores2000 »

martin54 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:25 pm
As has been said there is increased time but I haven't seen anything like the times people are saying.
I've just tried a 3D model at 12 x 12, very high resonution (x7) which is as high as I need to go for most of the work I do. 2 x tapered ballnose bits, 1mm & 0.25mm radius. 10% stepover on the 1mm bit & 12% stepover on the 0.25mm bit

On my desktop machine which is a fairly high end machine the time was a couple of minutes, on my laptop which is only a ryzen5 processor with 8 gig of ram the time was only 7 minutes which actually surprised me, thought it would be longer from reading this post.

It will depend on the actual 3D model you are machining, I realise that copyright may be an issue but could people post a screen shot of the models that are giving these long times, also consider sending the file to vectric. :lol: :lol:

Other thing is do you really need to use rest machining & multiple tools? A lot of my 3D models won't gain any extra detail from using multiple tools so the toolpathing will be done with just the one bit as I have done in the past :lol: :lol:
Sir, I have adjusted my stepover and it took about 15 min to update finally. There is no real reason for the rest machining except to speed up the overall carve and to get that smaller detail for the "Last Supper" I carved. I have done 2 so far and I can tell a difference with the rest machining. :D
Jeff Flores
Texas, USA