sfo2406
Model of CNC Machine: Euro-Makers Aureus 3X

Re: Vectric V11 Wish list

Post by sfo2406 »

Adrian wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:35 pm
BrooksM wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:31 pm
3. A volume calculation of volume of material removed from the pocket toolpath. It would help with epoxy pour calcs.
That you can already do with a few steps. Use the Create Model from Toolpath Preview and then you can press Ctrl-Alt-Shift V to display the volume of the created model.
I've searched literally everywhere and I couldn't find it. :shock: Maybe it's not in Vcarve Desktop?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

sfo2406 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:49 pm
Adrian wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:35 pm
That you can already do with a few steps. Use the Create Model from Toolpath Preview and then you can press Ctrl-Alt-Shift V to display the volume of the created model.
I've searched literally everywhere and I couldn't find it. :shock: Maybe it's not in Vcarve Desktop?
The volume display works on models in VCarve but the Create Model from Toolpath Preview is an Aspire only feature.

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by litzluth »

I would very much like to see in Aspire 11.5 or 12 the ability to set a job size based on a 3d model, to avoid "cutting air" where the material constructed to carve a model is something other than a flat plane.

See viewtopic.php?p=269999#p269999

Right now the software only allows a flat plane to be entered as the job size.

dakmonf
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Mechmate

Post by dakmonf »

I would very much like to see in Aspire 11.5 or 12 the ability to set a job size based on a 3d model, to avoid "cutting air" where the material constructed to carve a model is something other than a flat plane.

+1

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by litzluth »

dakmonf wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:54 pm

+1
Amen, amen, amen.

Rut Row
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave CNC Shark HD520 w/ 3hp spindle

Post by Rut Row »

I want the ability to swap the X and Y axis. I have a Nextwave HD520 and the X and Y axis are opposite of what VCarve uses. I like my view in VCarve to be "Landscape" meaning the longest side of the project would be the "X" and the shortest side the "Y". To make it work with the way it is setup now, I have to use "Portrait" meaning the longest side is vertical in VCarve or lay it out so I can read it then flip it. That is less than optimal and causes extra work.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Rut Row wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:15 pm
I want the ability to swap the X and Y axis. I have a Nextwave HD520 and the X and Y axis are opposite of what VCarve uses. I like my view in VCarve to be "Landscape" meaning the longest side of the project would be the "X" and the shortest side the "Y". To make it work with the way it is setup now, I have to use "Portrait" meaning the longest side is vertical in VCarve or lay it out so I can read it then flip it. That is less than optimal and causes extra work.
This is a machine builder issue. Vectric uses the accepted Cartesian Coordinate system which has been around for ~400 years. In the Job Setup sheet, the user selects which quadrant or all 4 (centered) they wish to use. X will always be left and right, Y will always be towards and away. Cant change.
Coordinate Plane.JPG
A machine builder can designate axes as they wish, but X and Y direction never change. Long and short have nothing to do with it.
X Gantry.JPG
Y Gantry.JPG
If your machine XY Zero, datum or reference is not in the lower left corner of your machine, you are standing in the wrong spot! You can swap your X and Y axes on your machine to your liking, but you cannot swap their direction, and you lose your ability to converse with your fellow machine owners.
Last edited by IslaWW on Fri May 27, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I want the ability to swap the X and Y axis.
You can do this now with a change to your post processor. Just swap X and Y.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:37 pm
I want the ability to swap the X and Y axis.
You can do this now with a change to your post processor. Just swap X and Y.
Yes you can, but your Y will run backwards, you also have to invert it's direction
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Rut Row: the question to "swap x and y axis" comes up often and there are some existing ways to accomplish this:
  • swap the two axes on your machine. Which I half think IslaWWW was getting at although see the end of this message *
  • edit the post processor for your machine as Rcnewcomb indicated. It's fairly easy.
  • next time you need to replace your (or if you want to add a second) monitor get one that can rotate to portrait mode—great for reading documents on too!
The request to "swap axes" should be reframed as (and probably directed to support@vectric.com):

Can we have an option in the Job Setup to indicate the orientation of our machine? This would either be "landscape" as the various Vectric program's behaviour is now or "portrait". Portrait would set the Y axis to run left (negative) to right (positive) and the X axis would run top (negative) to bottom (positive).

* My way and the way people want (but ask for it, generally, inefficiently) doesn't violate:
Vectric uses the accepted Cartesian Coordinate system which has been around for ~400 years.
Positive and negative for the X and Y axes will still act as in the image (if we rotate the image 90 degrees to the right). There is no imperative for XY (0,0) to be in the lower left corner of the screen with X going left and right.

If your software's XY Zero, datum or reference is not at the top left corner of the screen, Vectric haven't implemented a simple 90 rotation of the quadrant system!

Coordinate Plane.jpg

Rut Row

Post by Rut Row »

This is how Nextwave has the machine configured.
Orientation.png
If I'm making a long sign, this is how it gets laid out in Vectric
Vectric.png
I don't like working vertically. I guess I used the wrong terms. Leave the X & Y the same. But on the screen, allow me to designate orientation.

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

Rut Row wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:19 pm
This is how Nextwave has the machine configured.
Orientation.png

If I'm making a long sign, this is how it gets laid out in Vectric

Vectric.png

I don't like working vertically. I guess I used the wrong terms. Leave the X & Y the same. But on the screen, allow me to designate orientation.
I have brought this up in the past, and there seems to be a lot of "pushback" from both Vectric and many users. "This is the way it's always been!". To this I answer: ''If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten".

This is my "workaround": I create my designs horizontally (since I don't want to crane my neck all the time.....), and then I go into the Job Setup page, switch around my Width and Height, select ALL of the elements that are required (model(s), text, vectors, etc), and then rotate them 90 degrees. This works.... to a point. If you forget to select something (might be hidden, or on the back (2 sided job), etc), you are going to have troubles later on.

Some people advocate editing the G-code, but that seems like a regressive step (learning G-code just to do a few steps that a radio button can accomplish in the blink of an eye?! Thanks, but I'll let the expensive computer do the heavy lifting, thank you very much!).

My recommendation: have a "swap orientation" button on the Job Setup page, and then a forced (prompted?) Re-Calculate All Toolpaths button (fairly critical... don't ask me how I know...). Why this is SOOOO difficult for Vectric and/or end-users to deal with is beyond me (besides the "but but but this is how it's always been done!"). The reality is that there are more and more hobbyists, with no real background in programming, who want a simple solution. And if one is paying >$2500 for a software application (Aspire), one can expect something simple like this to be implemented, no?!

Allan

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Rut Row,

For “horizontal” signs (and other types of projects) I setup my Job dimensions so the material is horizontal on-screen.

I then do the complete layout in that orientation. Often, I will also draw a rectangle “outline” encompassing the entire layout that is the exact same size as the material.

Then, I’ll select everything (including the “outline” rectangle) and rotate by 90-degrees.

I’ll change my Job dimensions for a vertical layout, then select everything again, then press F9 to center everything on the new vertical layout orientation.

It’s a quick and easy solution.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Official request sent to Vectric support re: my rewording above of "swap x and y axis" question.

Rut Row

Post by Rut Row »

adze_cnc wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:03 pm
Official request sent to Vectric support re: my rewording above of "swap x and y axis" question.
thanks.