Post by BrooksM »

Thank you Adrian

BrooksM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1 SR-24, Shark SD110

Re: Vectric V11 Wish list

Post by BrooksM »

Adrian that's cool thanks again.
Is that documented? My search techniques need refining otherwise.

Brooks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

BrooksM wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:13 pm
Adrian that's cool thanks again.
Is that documented? My search techniques need refining otherwise.

Brooks
Can't remember where I first saw it but it's been around for a few years. There are a few others posts about it on the forum.

BrooksM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1 SR-24, Shark SD110

Post by BrooksM »

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I'd like a settable program parameter where I can select whether the default for the STL slider is defaulted to Bottom, Center, or Top.

I've been working with a lot of STLs and I always have to move it to the bottom.
STLimportPosition.JPG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:11 pm
I'd like a settable program parameter where I can select whether the default for the STL slider is defaulted to Bottom, Center, or Top.

I've been working with a lot of STLs and I always have to move it to the bottom.

STLimportPosition.JPG
+1
Scott T

@scottscnc

dhagen1999
Model of CNC Machine: nextwave shark

Post by dhagen1999 »

When creating a circle and select '"diameter" the two points the user selects on the drawing should define the circle size by its diameter.

Conversely, if selected the radius option the selected two points on the drawing define the circle size by its radius.

Right now as far as I can tell the only way to interactively draw a circles is by its radius. So if you want to draw a circle between two points you first have to draw a line between them, then draw your circle by selecting the mi-point then an end point. I should be able just select the two points directly to define the circle.

Most CAD system I have used provides a number of ways to draw a circle, by it radius, diameter, three points etc, Vectric and Aspire only allow drawing a circle by it radius, this is very limiting.

If there is a method to draw a circle by it diameter let me know...

dhagen1999
Model of CNC Machine: nextwave shark

Re: Vectric Wish list

Post by dhagen1999 »

First I am glad you have the offset command, but its execution is poor in my view.

One of my greatest frustrations with Vectric/Aspire is how the offset command works. Using the options of Outward/right or Inwards/Left is problematic. To understand which side the offset is created you need to be aware where the start point is. If it is a simple circle or box etc it is pretty clear what to expect, But open lines, complex curves for me it is just a straight out guess sometimes. Most of the time I just select BOTH and delete the one I don't want or press ctrl-z change the setting and offset again. It is a poorly done drawing option in my view. You can literally select a vertical line, select offset to the right and the offset is created on the left, that should not happen, completely contrary to what the user selected! It all depends on where the start point is and how it relates to the selected option. I have had situations where it was a closed shape where it definitely should be inwards, but it created the offset outside.

How it should work..
The user should enter the offset amount, then select which side of the selected line to draw the offset. The user should be able to terminate the offset command with the space bar, select another line and click which side to place the offset. If the "select the new line" option is turn on, then the user can keep clicking on the side of each new line you want the offset and just keep clicking on the side to keep creating offsets. This is the way other CAD programs work and it works very well and intuitive and much better then left right up down or just guess and delete method you have it programed.

I have seen some programs that allow entering the number of offsets to create, so you could enter 5 for example, click on the side you want the offset and the software would generate 5 parallel offset lines. It would be nice feature, but optional in my view.

I use the offset command A LOT, which is why I find the way its been implemented in Aspire and Vectric so frustrating particularly since other programs I have used have it working so much better and significantly more intuitive.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Sounds simple in theory but how is the software supposed to know what right/left is other than using the start node?

From what you're describing it sounds like you may be better off using the array copy tools rather than the offset tool.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Vectric Wish

Post by adze_cnc »

dhagen1999 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:34 am
This is the way other CAD programs work
Many questions in this forum overlook one thing. VCarve / Aspire are not primarily "CAD", that is drafting, applications like AutoCAD / Rhinoceros 3D are. Nor are they parametric applications like Solidworks / other software are. For 2D operations they are, mostly. drawing programs like Illustrator or CorelDraw are.

Having said that, I do wish the offset command worked interactively in the way that Rhinoceros 3D's does.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

dhagen1999 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:53 am
If there is a method to draw a circle by it diameter let me know...
Activate the circle tool, click and hold the mouse button in the 2D window, type the diameter you want followed by D (values will appear on the bottom status bar, just start typing as soon as you've held the mouse button) and a circle with the correct diameter will be created as soon as you press the D key.

Nearly all the drawing tools support being used in this way which is incredibly fast when you get used to it. Look at the Keyboard Shortcuts section in the Help Contents.

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

I have a wish for the Rotate function...

The Rotate command is always default to 0.0deg's even if you rotate an object (45.0deg's) and later when you need to Rotate function another object it is back to 0.0deg's.

Can you have it remember the last amount used?
Thanks,
Jim

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

jimandi5000 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:49 am
I have a wish for the Rotate function...

The Rotate command is always default to 0.0deg's even if you rotate an object (45.0deg's) and later when you need to Rotate function another object it is back to 0.0deg's.

Can you have it remember the last amount used?
I do understand what you are asking for and think it is not a bad idea - but in your “example of 45-degree rotation” the shortcut key for 45-degree rotation is the number “9” or “0” (anti clockwise and clockwise, respectively).

Somewhat related, you can rotate a selected item manually in 15-degree increments by holding down the Shift key whilst rotating (allows the item to “snap” at 15-degrees at a time while rotating)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

I'll agree with the rotation enhancement request for a future version...there are likely many situations where for precision reasons one might need to rotate something to an exact degree, rather than increments of 90º or 15º. Making that easy if it doesn't exist now would be a nice feature on the CAD side of things.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Jim_in_PA wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:25 pm
I'll agree with the rotation enhancement request for a future version...there are likely many situations where for precision reasons one might need to rotate something to an exact degree, rather than increments of 90º or 15º. Making that easy if it doesn't exist now would be a nice feature on the CAD side of things.
We can already rotate at any precise degree now (just enter the value in the input box).

What Jim is requesting is that the last value used is “remembered” in the rotation dialog menu for the next time another item is to be rotated (by that same amount).

I mentioned the existing shortcut keys as they can be quite handy at times when rotating an item by “common”
amounts.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC