metric machine stl model in inches....

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
RobSm
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6090

metric machine stl model in inches....

Post by RobSm »

Hi. I have done a search with the latest posts i could find being 2011 - I was wondering what the best approach might be before I start scaling models hither thither and yon - it seemed to me that if I generated all the tool paths using the imperial model then there might be a way to simply change them to metric since it's just a distance in x y and or z that needs to arithmetically changed. It seems the safest and simplest way for the sculptingly challenged like me.

Can aspire do that? ie change an imperially dimensioned toolpath to the equivalent metricly dimensioned value.

Or is there abetter way?

Thanks,
Rob

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: metric machine stl model in inches....

Post by Adrian »

The post processor that you use is what handles the units. If you have a job created in inches and use a metric post processor then the toolpath code will be metric units and vice versa.

You can even mix units. I design in metric but, as most of my tools are american, all my tool dimensions and feed rates are imperial. The post processor converts everything to metric which is what my control software is setup to use.

If you actually want to change the size of the model from say 10" to 15cm then you would use the Size tool in Aspire to do that. It can except imperial or metric units if you use the calculation factors.

RobSm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by RobSm »

Thanks.
Time to play around a bit....

RobSm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by RobSm »

I did a litlle 'test cut simulation' of an 8 inch sqare and opened the .nc file... and there were all the distances in mm - fantastic! - but then I thought - what tells the post processor to effect a conversion so I opened the (copied) post processor file and couldn't really make head nor tail of it.

Since I don't want to learn how to write post processors can you tell me what triggers the unit conversion? and where and how...

Cheers,
Rob.

just so i know....

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Code: Select all

UNITS="MM"
see https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V10.5/VCa ... index.html for more information.