Newbie seeking advice

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
chapklc
Model of CNC Machine: Scienci Long Mill 30x30

Newbie seeking advice

Post by chapklc »

I have a 30x30 Longmill CNC and am using Aspire 10.5 (since March 2021).
If I keep it simple, and one bit -- usually things turn out just peachy.
When I attempt a relief or using multiple bits... things get dicey! I do utilize the Sienci touch plate.
Can someone take a look at this file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-N-tJf ... sp=sharing
I would like to make sure my software is correct before attempting this and wasting my time again.
If the software looks good, then I will start the next troubleshooting steps. Image
Any input is welcome at this time. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
50th Revised 4.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Newbie seeking advice

Post by Adrian »

What problems are you having?

First thing I can see is that you have no roughing toolpath. That might be intentional on your part but the 1/4" bit will be plunging to 0.8" as a finish toolpath doesn't use pass depths.

chapklc

Post by chapklc »

I guess I should say that I have not carved this one yet. I wanted to make sure it is correct before attempting to carve.

I just finished a very long cut on stacked text and it came out horrible.

So because I'm feeling rather deflated over an unsuccessful project, I wanted someone to take a look. And I appreciate your response!

I will add a roughing toolpath first. :)

chapklc

Post by chapklc »

I know that the Aspire calculated carve time isn't accurate...
But by it's calculations with the roughing toolpath added it says this is an 82 hour cut. Does that sound right?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Check your stepovers on the roughing tool. Generally you would use a 40% stepover for the roughing (1/4" tool) and 8 to 10% (1/8") tool for the finishing.

The feed rates affect the time as well and they look very slow to me but I don't know what your machine is capable of.

3D toolpaths are very slow by their nature.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

This might cut a little better. I changed quite a few things so study each toolpath carefully. If you decide to use it for other than learning, be sure to check the bits, feeds, and speeds and set them appropriately for your machine.

Some of the things changed are:
Converted some of the text to vectors due to overlapping vectors and loops
Created a boundary vector to use for toolpaths
Added 3D roughing toolpath
Added tabs to cutout toolpath
Changed 3D toolpath bit to 1/8" BN
Set v-carve toolpath to "Project toolpath onto 3D Model"

Also, I cut and pasted everything to a new project to set the model resolution a little higher.

The file is too large to upload so here is a link to download it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/106oLEW ... sp=sharing
Steve

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I can’t read Aspire files so I don’t know if this has been done (but I would doubt it):

The only elements that really need a 3D Finishing toolpath are the linked rings and the outer moulding. The flat area where the text is could be done with a Pocket toolpath (excluding the area occupied by the rings) using multiple square-end cutters. This would be much faster and cleaner than using a single ball-end cutter.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

adze_cnc wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:22 pm
I can’t read Aspire files so I don’t know if this has been done (but I would doubt it):
The free trial copy of Aspire will read the files and do everything except create toolpaths and export files. One can even Save As a .crv file to use in VCarve.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Not looked at your file as there is little point me looking after some others have already done that :lol: :lol:

One thing that you need to do is learn to trust the toolpath preview, it is very accurate & will show you what your finished machined job will look like. If after running your toolpaths your project does not look right then the problem is most likely to be an opperator error, a problem with the actual machine, the machine control software or you may have used the wrong post processor when saving your files for the control software :lol: :lol:

Pictures are always useful when trying to help solve problems, if you have pictures of the projects that haven't come out as expected & post those along with the file (copyright allowing) then I am sure you will get plenty of help getting to the bottom of what went wrong :lol: :lol:

chapklc

Post by chapklc »

I just learned today about resolution.. I can't remember any of the tutorials talking about that, or else, my brain didn't understand it.

I will look into all the changes and modifications everyone suggested and will see what happens.

Thanks everyone, i'll let you know how it goes!

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

adze_cnc wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:22 pm

The only elements that really need a 3D Finishing toolpath are the linked rings and the outer moulding. The flat area where the text is could be done with a Pocket toolpath (excluding the area occupied by the rings) using multiple square-end cutters. This would be much faster and cleaner than using a single ball-end cutter.
The project has two components the rings and the plaque itself with v-carve engraving on the plaque. Creating it with 2d toolpathing would be much faster if it had no 3D components and he had the vectors. I was just trying to work with what was given.
Steve

Uncle Bob
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 3x5 ATC

Post by Uncle Bob »

I would suggest running the V-carve tool-path twice. I find it cleans up and better defines the carving and only adds a few minutes. Just imagine the time our forefathers spent hand carving something like this... I also use a dremel tool with 3M sanding disks to clean up the fuzzies. Then the real work starts: sanding at least to 220 grit, 3 coats of shellac sanding sealer thinned 1/2 with denatured alcohol, sanding with 400 grit between coats (lightly). Then several coats of your finish of choice, sanding lightly with at least 400 (I use 1500).

Cheers,
Uncle B